Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Contact in COMSOL 4.0

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying to model a very simple model, in which I apply a force to a thin disc, near the center, and measure the deformation of the disc if I use different materials. In addition to this, I want to model how the disc will act when it encounters another object (say another disc) below it. The primitive model that I've created is attached.

When the solver attempts to solve the problem, it returns a nonconverged solution, and states

"Failed to find a solution.
No convergence, even when using the minimum damping factor. Returned solution has not converged."

for the stationary case and

"Nonlinear solver did not converge.
Time : 0.09922539967359374
Last time step is not converged."

for the time-dependent case.

I'm wondering if maybe it's not possible to do a contact analysis like this with COMSOL? Or perhaps, do I need to include some other physics, to allow for the deformation of my upper and lower discs?

3 Replies Last Post Oct 13, 2010, 2:09 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 5, 2010, 2:20 a.m. EDT
Hi

probably you have the same issue as for:

www.comsol.eu/community/forums/general/thread/6931/#p25745

There are many discussion about contact issues ont he forum, try a search

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi probably you have the same issue as for: http://www.comsol.eu/community/forums/general/thread/6931/#p25745 There are many discussion about contact issues ont he forum, try a search -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 5, 2010, 9:27 a.m. EDT
Hi,

I am having a very similar problem. For me, when I do ANY sort of contact analysis, the analysis seems to cut out as soon as theres contact between the pairs. This is from watching it back in the player.

For what its worth i think its a bug because i dont think it should work like that, I have mailed comsol support and hopefully will get help here...if its useful ill get back to you

Regards,

Chris
Hi, I am having a very similar problem. For me, when I do ANY sort of contact analysis, the analysis seems to cut out as soon as theres contact between the pairs. This is from watching it back in the player. For what its worth i think its a bug because i dont think it should work like that, I have mailed comsol support and hopefully will get help here...if its useful ill get back to you Regards, Chris

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 13, 2010, 2:09 a.m. EDT
Hi

contacts are tricky, as it gives easily & rapidly large variations 1:10^10 changes in magnitude, therefore there are a series of tricks, and one should very carefully read through the doc, or better take a Comsol course on the subject

There are many parameters to consider, too much to discuss here, but you have also many threads on the subject on the forum, try a search

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi contacts are tricky, as it gives easily & rapidly large variations 1:10^10 changes in magnitude, therefore there are a series of tricks, and one should very carefully read through the doc, or better take a Comsol course on the subject There are many parameters to consider, too much to discuss here, but you have also many threads on the subject on the forum, try a search -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.