Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

The Geometry exchange between matlab and comsol

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

HI!!,

I made a rope geometry program. For that i took the help of matlab and wrote a code. Now the problem is exchanging the the matlab file to comsol. I have successfully established the link .. generated 1st stage of wire geometry. In the first stage i have 6 helices ans one core. now the problem is importing the object in comsol. It is getting very difficult. It took me around 30 min to see that 1st sub cabling stage in comsol. Finally the imported the object but comsol hung my system. but after repeated trials i could see the helices one in comsol but the geometry has distorted face. (i.e circle became slightly polygon). I cannot use any cad package because.
1 i dont have a licence.

2. i cant afford to purchase

3. i cannot program rope the way i want in that.

my system is

HP server with Xeon 5800 serise Processors (2 in number)
4 GB DDR3 Ram (2x2 GB)

Comsol version 3.5a with update

Matlab 2008a

i even tried the same problem in another system whose configuration is

Dell vastro 420 serise
Intel Quard with 2.8Ghz and 4 mb cache
4 GB Ram
1 GB ATI radon HD card
OS Windows XP 32-bit

I need some suggestions.

Oh i forgot one more thing
1. if we draw a cylinder with unit radius(R=1) and if we want to see the face area it should be (Pi*R^2)

i.e (Pi*1^2) = value of Pi = ~3.1415926535897932384626433832795

but in comsol it shows ~3.105829 why??? so much error and how to minimize it???

2.During the simulation why in my task manager only single core is loaded other three cores of the processor are not loaded??

3. If i want to improve my system what aspects i have to consider. I meant is it anything to do with hardware or software improvement that is causing the problem?

4. If any hardware suggestions are there Please let me know i will purchase a laptop accordingly.

vishnu

2 Replies Last Post Sep 23, 2010, 3:57 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 23, 2010, 3:44 p.m. EDT
"Oh i forgot one more thing
1. if we draw a cylinder with unit radius(R=1) and if we want to see the face area it should be (Pi*R^2)

i.e (Pi*1^2) = value of Pi = ~3.1415926535897932384626433832795

but in comsol it shows ~3.105829 why??? so much error and how to minimize it???"

Your mesh may be too coarse. Try refining, update model and recalculate are- it should converge to true value of pi.
"Oh i forgot one more thing 1. if we draw a cylinder with unit radius(R=1) and if we want to see the face area it should be (Pi*R^2) i.e (Pi*1^2) = value of Pi = ~3.1415926535897932384626433832795 but in comsol it shows ~3.105829 why??? so much error and how to minimize it???" Your mesh may be too coarse. Try refining, update model and recalculate are- it should converge to true value of pi.

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 23, 2010, 3:57 p.m. EDT
Hello Ozgur Yildirim,

I have not mesh the geometry. I have just generated a cylinder of Radius 1 meter and height 10 meters. If you have comsol plz try in. to see the geometrical property of the cylinder i went to Comsol>Draw> Geometrical Properties> Boundries.

And if you can address my above problem as well.. it could be a great help.

vishnu
Hello Ozgur Yildirim, I have not mesh the geometry. I have just generated a cylinder of Radius 1 meter and height 10 meters. If you have comsol plz try in. to see the geometrical property of the cylinder i went to Comsol>Draw> Geometrical Properties> Boundries. And if you can address my above problem as well.. it could be a great help. vishnu

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.