Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Conduction Heat Transfer help

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am in need of a little assistance. I'm conducting my final year project at university on waste heat recovery and I'm trying to develop a simple Comsol model to aid my work, however I am having a couple of problems.

My model is of a rectangular hot metal slab at 1173K which is then placed in a cooling box and cooled down to 293K. I'm trying to model the box a solid in contact with the exterior of the slab conducting heat away in 3D. This involves two concentric blocks in contact with each other at the slabs exterior faces.

I am have trouble setting the boundary conditions of the slab. I want it to start at its initial temperature and then decrease as a function of the heat removed by conduction as a function of time. I would also like to measure the heat flux and temperature on the outside of the box as a function of time.

Because it is metal to metal contact I feel like I can ignore any convection for the time being and possible add radiation when I have got a working model.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have tried modifying the Comsol tutorials but can't seem to get it to work.

Kind Regards,

Will Hastie

4 Replies Last Post Nov 6, 2015, 7:17 a.m. EST

Posted: 9 years ago Oct 9, 2015, 9:55 p.m. EDT
Can you upload your .mph file?
Can you upload your .mph file?

Posted: 9 years ago Oct 12, 2015, 7:25 a.m. EDT
This is just a very simple model of a solid block with the slab block removed. Constant Temperature or Heat Flux can be added to either side but I was thinking of making these a decreasing function of time (to show the slab cooling).

Maybe it is best to to model as a 2D space with one wall at a certain temperature. It would be good to know your thoughts, the final plan would be to get a model of a working fluid flow picking up the heat from the slab, may be hard to implement in 2D.

Thanks,
Will
This is just a very simple model of a solid block with the slab block removed. Constant Temperature or Heat Flux can be added to either side but I was thinking of making these a decreasing function of time (to show the slab cooling). Maybe it is best to to model as a 2D space with one wall at a certain temperature. It would be good to know your thoughts, the final plan would be to get a model of a working fluid flow picking up the heat from the slab, may be hard to implement in 2D. Thanks, Will

Posted: 9 years ago Nov 6, 2015, 3:14 a.m. EST
William,

Hi I tried to edit your file but I could not send it to you. I can send you the edited file to your email if you wish. Attached are the pictures of the solution of the edited file.

Joel
William, Hi I tried to edit your file but I could not send it to you. I can send you the edited file to your email if you wish. Attached are the pictures of the solution of the edited file. Joel

Posted: 9 years ago Nov 6, 2015, 7:17 a.m. EST
Hi Joel,

Thanks for the help, but I've stopped using Comsol for my project.

My university only had a licence for Comsol 4.0 so I decided to move my simulations onto Star CCM+.

Thanks again for your efforts,

Will
Hi Joel, Thanks for the help, but I've stopped using Comsol for my project. My university only had a licence for Comsol 4.0 so I decided to move my simulations onto Star CCM+. Thanks again for your efforts, Will

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.