Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to draw the power inductor geometry in COMSOL 3.5a?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody!

I would like to draw the winding of the power inductor model in AC/DC Module, COMSOL 3.5a. This example is not explained from the scratch, you must import the geometry. I need that kind of winding to try it on mi own designs. I can do an helix but this winding has a rectangular cross-section and its a bit difficult. Could anyone give me a hand on that? If you know how to do it with COMSOL 4.0 it can be a solution to my problem too, because I think you can export the geometry in the way that v.3.5a can read it. I don't have version 4.0a yet, still waiting for it.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Lidia.

3 Replies Last Post Sep 3, 2010, 6:04 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 2, 2010, 2:25 p.m. EDT
Hi

I'm not sure of which "coil" you refer to, as there are several in the examples from my remembering, but one way to generate a "square" spiral coil, is to define a 2D workplane, draw a series of rectangles for the shape, that are adjacent or overlapping at the junctions, to select them all, and combine (union) without keeping interiour boundaries (if not explicitely wanted).

Then you can extrude it into a 3D geometry, (or mesh it and extude the mesh in 3.5)

The advantage in V4 is that you can rerun your geoemtry constructions, just as your mesh logic, over and over

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure of which "coil" you refer to, as there are several in the examples from my remembering, but one way to generate a "square" spiral coil, is to define a 2D workplane, draw a series of rectangles for the shape, that are adjacent or overlapping at the junctions, to select them all, and combine (union) without keeping interiour boundaries (if not explicitely wanted). Then you can extrude it into a 3D geometry, (or mesh it and extude the mesh in 3.5) The advantage in V4 is that you can rerun your geoemtry constructions, just as your mesh logic, over and over -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 3, 2010, 4:26 a.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,

Thank you for your answer. I don't understand very well what you mean, but I think that it's not what I'm looking for.

I attach a screenshot of the winding that I want to model. It's like a circular helix, but with rectangular cross section. Actually, I would like to model it as an square-shaped helix instead of circular, but I think that this is easier to achieve as a starting point.

I really apreciate your help.

Best regards,
Lidia.
Hi Ivar, Thank you for your answer. I don't understand very well what you mean, but I think that it's not what I'm looking for. I attach a screenshot of the winding that I want to model. It's like a circular helix, but with rectangular cross section. Actually, I would like to model it as an square-shaped helix instead of circular, but I think that this is easier to achieve as a starting point. I really apreciate your help. Best regards, Lidia.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 3, 2010, 6:04 a.m. EDT
Hi

indeed I was thinking of a "square" where you have the spiral. Then you should try the extrude with torsion features in the CAD or the 2D to 3D mesh extrude, you may have better luck there

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi indeed I was thinking of a "square" where you have the spiral. Then you should try the extrude with torsion features in the CAD or the 2D to 3D mesh extrude, you may have better luck there -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.