Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Displaying mesh in draw mode

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

How can I display a fine mesh in draw mode with axis labels visible in all views (3-D, XY, YZ etc) please?

If I draw some 3-D structures, and then want to create subdomains for meshing purposes or modifying the structure, its very difficult to figure out the lengths in order to match to the existing solids. I end up using a ruler to measure the structures on the screen.

I have turned on everything I could find in options -> Axis/Grid settings and set the mesh size to "fine" in options->selection/visualisation settings but all I get is a very coarse mesh along the outer boundaries, so coarse as to be useless for measuring the dimensions and selective units (so that for example even though my structure is in micro meters in all dimensions, only one axis has the qualification x10e-6). Changing the mesh size in options->selection/visualisation settings from coarse to normal to fine has no effect. Is this a bug? I need a fine 3-D mesh that permeates the entire structure to figure out the distances.

Also, what is the difference between a solid and a face in the block specification dialog please? From the glossary, I get the following:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
solid
A description of a part of the modeling space. See also subdomain.

solid modeling
A 3D geometry modeling method that describes both the boundary and interior of the geometry using solid objects. See also constructive solid geometry (CSG) and solid.

solid object
A geometry object representing one or several solids.

face, face segment
A domain describing a bounded part of a surface in a 3D geometry. A face or face segment is a boundary in a 3D geometry. See also domain.

face object
A geometry object with no topological information on subdomains. Typically a trimmed surface is represented as a face object.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It seems to that a face is a surface based on these definitions. However when I select "face" in the Block dialog box in draw mode, I still get a solid block. Can I not create a surface in a 3-D structure to partition existing objects?

Finally, is there no way that I can drag and resize objects in 3-D like I can in 2-D? Do I always have to specify this in a dialog box?

Thanks in advance.

0 Replies Last Post Sep 1, 2010, 11:30 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Dinesh Pamunuwa

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.