Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

3.5a> Struct. Mech.> Fixed Circular Constraint (3D model)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I would like to model a coupling of Structural Mechanics, Moving Mesh (ALE) and Electrostatics, and I understand how to couple those three applications.

I am trying to model a top gate, grounded conductor (which will be a thin membrane) over a bottom gate conductor with induced voltage. I understand how to create this setup as well.

Here is my question:
Q: I would like to create a relatively thin membrane (will be electrically grounded) and clamp it to a plate with a circular hole in it, so that, when a fixed (in space) bottom gate conductor which is bellow this plate has induced voltage, the thin membrane will be pulled (displaced, deformed) downward through the circular hole (but the edges of the thin membrane around the circular hole are clamped... so the membrane stretches).

That is to say, how can I specify a circular, fixed clamp on a membrane? I'm okay with all of the electrostatics, I just need help with the Structural Mechanics aspects of the circular constraint.

Which Struct. Mech. application mode will I need to use, and what steps should I pursue to specify this circular constraint? I would like to compile a 3D model, so I'm trying to avoid 2D axial symmetry space dimension.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards,
Kevin

0 Replies Last Post Aug 10, 2010, 3:02 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Kevin Myhro

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.