Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Parametric sweep query

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello

I am trying to implement a parametric sweep in my model. But a problem is that for different configurations, I need to refine the mesh. For example: I have a set of electrodes and between them plasma is formed, therefore increasing the gap between the electrodes for noticing the change in plasma characteristics, I need to refine the mesh in the area between the electrode *gap*.

Can anybody please guide me if this is possible or not, when implementing parametric sweep to a model?

I sincerely appreciate your help.

Thank you

Best regards
Zaid

1 Reply Last Post Jun 15, 2015, 8:06 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago Jun 15, 2015, 8:06 a.m. EDT
Hi

Firs notice that the Parametric Sweep node can lead to 2 different cases:
a) Study continuation => no need to update the geometry nor the mesh, => last results are used as initial values for the next parameter solving
b) Parametric geometry change => new mesh is generated and original initial conditions are used for each new study step

To ensure that the mesh is small enough along an edge or other elements, set up a first edge mesh with a custom size < x[mm] to be compatible with your analysis, you can also use parameters and predefined variables to define the mesh density, it's not only constant values. In this way in some critical region you can ensure a "fine enough" mesh even if the region changes shape

When doing a Parametric Sweep on the geometry, be aware that changing the geometrical Topology MIGHT give you BC id ordering issues, and your BC get defined on strangely located entities, while the geometry changes. COMSOL has been better to handle these cases efficiently, but often, still your model get messed up.
--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Firs notice that the Parametric Sweep node can lead to 2 different cases: a) Study continuation => no need to update the geometry nor the mesh, => last results are used as initial values for the next parameter solving b) Parametric geometry change => new mesh is generated and original initial conditions are used for each new study step To ensure that the mesh is small enough along an edge or other elements, set up a first edge mesh with a custom size < x[mm] to be compatible with your analysis, you can also use parameters and predefined variables to define the mesh density, it's not only constant values. In this way in some critical region you can ensure a "fine enough" mesh even if the region changes shape When doing a Parametric Sweep on the geometry, be aware that changing the geometrical Topology MIGHT give you BC id ordering issues, and your BC get defined on strangely located entities, while the geometry changes. COMSOL has been better to handle these cases efficiently, but often, still your model get messed up. -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.