Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to give unpolarized light in comsol??

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I want to simulate the scattering phenomena through nano rod by incident un-polarized light.

Can anyone tell me how to incident un-polarized light in comsol ???

2 Replies Last Post Mar 12, 2015, 5:43 a.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 years ago Mar 12, 2015, 12:45 a.m. EDT
Interesting... Is it also purely-monochromatic light? I believe that any exactly-fixed superposition of purely single-frequency waves must likewise give you a fixed (most-generally, elliptical) polarization. I don't see how you could synthesize randomly-polarized light in the frequency domain. But I suppose you could do it in the time domain, if you allow yourself a modest bandwidth and you superimpose vert-pol and horiz-pol incident waves operating around frequencies that have randomly-drifting phases and amplitudes. But that would be tedious and more problematic (time-domain RF is always trickier to do right than frequency-domain RF) and could be hard to interpret even once you got it to work. So instead, I'd probably try doing the problem several times in the frequency domain, systematically exploring a broad and representative range of polarizations. That way, you would also discover how the scattering phenomena that you are interested in actually depend upon polarization (which they almost certainly do, for monochromatic waves). But I'd also like to see what other people looking at this forum suggest. Good luck.
Interesting... Is it also purely-monochromatic light? I believe that any exactly-fixed superposition of purely single-frequency waves must likewise give you a fixed (most-generally, elliptical) polarization. I don't see how you could synthesize randomly-polarized light in the frequency domain. But I suppose you could do it in the time domain, if you allow yourself a modest bandwidth and you superimpose vert-pol and horiz-pol incident waves operating around frequencies that have randomly-drifting phases and amplitudes. But that would be tedious and more problematic (time-domain RF is always trickier to do right than frequency-domain RF) and could be hard to interpret even once you got it to work. So instead, I'd probably try doing the problem several times in the frequency domain, systematically exploring a broad and representative range of polarizations. That way, you would also discover how the scattering phenomena that you are interested in actually depend upon polarization (which they almost certainly do, for monochromatic waves). But I'd also like to see what other people looking at this forum suggest. Good luck.

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 years ago Mar 12, 2015, 5:43 a.m. EDT

How about using circular polarisation by superimposing two perdendicularly polarized sources with a 90° phase shift?

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
How about using circular polarisation by superimposing two perdendicularly polarized sources with a 90° phase shift? -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.