Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Importing Mesh from Mimics into Comsol 4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have mphtext file generated from Mimics. I have imported them into Comsol but I do not know where to go from here. I would be grateful if someone could help please?

Thanks

7 Replies Last Post Nov 5, 2010, 4:05 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago May 28, 2010, 7:58 a.m. EDT
I would say create geometry from mesh: Menu-> Mesh -> generate geometry from mesh to al
I would say create geometry from mesh: Menu-> Mesh -> generate geometry from mesh to al

Posted: 1 decade ago May 28, 2010, 8:02 a.m. EDT
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Do you how to do this in version 4 please...it's completely different from 3.5?
Hi, Thanks for your reply. Do you how to do this in version 4 please...it's completely different from 3.5?

Posted: 1 decade ago May 30, 2010, 4:56 p.m. EDT
These are the steps we have been doing:
1. Create the volume mesh files in mimics.
2. In Comsol version 4 we choose 3D>structural module> solid mechanics. We selected stationary analysis.
3. We imported 5 mesh files (which is in fact 5 parts) under the mesh interface in the model builder.
4. Then we assigned material properties to each parts.
5. We created contact pairs and identity pairs.
6. Under the solid mechanics interface in the model builder we set a face load and a fixed constraint (contact pairs and continuity pairs were also inserted as a follow up to step 5).
7. We generated a sequence from the study and compute.

(Also the finalize feature node was set as form an assembly)

And there is no stress distribution at all in our model. All we get is a green model starring blankly at us.

Is there anything wrong in the steps above or maybe it might be with our imported mess?

Thanks for answering

Cheers
Dilen

These are the steps we have been doing: 1. Create the volume mesh files in mimics. 2. In Comsol version 4 we choose 3D>structural module> solid mechanics. We selected stationary analysis. 3. We imported 5 mesh files (which is in fact 5 parts) under the mesh interface in the model builder. 4. Then we assigned material properties to each parts. 5. We created contact pairs and identity pairs. 6. Under the solid mechanics interface in the model builder we set a face load and a fixed constraint (contact pairs and continuity pairs were also inserted as a follow up to step 5). 7. We generated a sequence from the study and compute. (Also the finalize feature node was set as form an assembly) And there is no stress distribution at all in our model. All we get is a green model starring blankly at us. Is there anything wrong in the steps above or maybe it might be with our imported mess? Thanks for answering Cheers Dilen

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 2, 2010, 1:31 a.m. EDT
I also have a mimics mesh, and i can import it in comsol 3.5 but cannot create a geometry from the mesh
any ideas on why i can't ? i get the error 2211
thanks,
T
I also have a mimics mesh, and i can import it in comsol 3.5 but cannot create a geometry from the mesh any ideas on why i can't ? i get the error 2211 thanks, T

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 5, 2010, 12:58 a.m. EDT
Hi.

Have you figured out how to import and use the mesh file from mimics? I am stuck here now. Thanks.

Hi. Have you figured out how to import and use the mesh file from mimics? I am stuck here now. Thanks.

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 5, 2010, 4:35 a.m. EDT
Hi,

No I'm using version 4 of comsol and we can't create a geometry out of a mesh in comsol.
Hi, No I'm using version 4 of comsol and we can't create a geometry out of a mesh in comsol.

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 5, 2010, 4:05 p.m. EDT
So, Are there any other methods to do simulation with a mesh file from Mimics? I have already had the 3D model in Mimics.

Thanks
So, Are there any other methods to do simulation with a mesh file from Mimics? I have already had the 3D model in Mimics. Thanks

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.