Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Hello~~ I encounter some problems when modeling corona wind

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello~
I was modeling ionic wind, and I had some problems on it. I selected AC/DC, and PDE module for simulation.
My model is a rectangle 2D domain which represents inner section of pipe. There are two emitting pins, and two grounded plates, which all of them are placed parallel on the pipe's inner walls. I choose AC/DC and PDE modules for simulation. I set emitting electrode as 18kV, and grounded plate as 0kV. Also, I added space charge density, and set its dependent variable as "rho" which coupled with PDE. I used PDE to solve ion transport equation by modifying it as "grad(rho)*grad(V) = rho^2/epsilon, where rho represents space charge density, V stands for voltage, and epsilon is dielectric strength of air." I set the PDE's dependent variable as "rho" which coupled with the AC/DC's space charge density. In PDE, I also set dirichlet boundary condition, which value is calculated by Peek's law, on emitting pin's head.
From the post process of space charge density, I checked the result by observing contour plot. However, always got the same result, that the space charge density was too wide spread across the whole domain. I expected the result of space charge density should be high value near pin, not high value in the whole 2D domain. I already checked the units, and ran with different possible setting in order to acquire ideal result. However, I still can't get it right.
I was also confused with that should I use drift diffusion of plasma module instead of using PDE for ion transport (current continuity)??
Please help me~~ thanks a lot :)

1 Reply Last Post Jun 14, 2017, 12:44 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Castro Jamal

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago Jun 14, 2017, 12:44 p.m. EDT
Hi Castro,

I'm curious if you ever got your question answered or figured this out on your own? If you did, would you mind helping me out as well?
Hi Castro, I'm curious if you ever got your question answered or figured this out on your own? If you did, would you mind helping me out as well?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.