Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Poisson-Nernst-Planck system - Weird behavior.

Srikumar Krishnamoorthy

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying to simulate electric double layer formation near a charged wall in a cylindrical domain using a Poisson-Nernst-Planck system. I use the Poisson-Boltzmann equation to initialize electrostatic potential, and the Nernst-Planck equation for concentration flux. I used a probe to get concentration data at different points, and at certain points (And in their vicinity), I'm getting a rapid dip and spike in concentration (over time), while the change is smooth at other points. I'm not sure why this behavior seems to happen, but I think it may be due to the way I have coupled the equations. Can somebody help me with this, please? I have attached the mph file and an image showing the behavior that I have mentioned.

0 Replies Last Post Dec 24, 2014, 10:25 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Srikumar Krishnamoorthy

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.