Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to stop flow in simple microfluidic gradient generator and use time dependent study to observe gradient decay?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I am trying to model a microfluidic gradient generator, like this:

www.elveflow.com/wp-content/gallery/common/gradient-on-a-microfluidic-chip-a.png

While it was not difficult to put together the stationary study using the laminar flow and transport of diluted species modules, what I would like to do is add an additional time-dependent step where after a few seconds the flow from both inlets is stopped, and the existing gradient that was generated by flow is allowed to decay inside the channel.

What would be the best way to do this? I tried using a stationary study and then a time-dependent study with the stationary study results as input, but was not able to get it to work (no concentration profile generated--the object was just solid red).

I also tried setting a global definition of a time-dependent variable with this expression:

(1-(1/(1+(2.71828182846^((-2)*100000*(t-30))))))[1/s]

To give a very steep step function that goes from 1 to 0 at 30 seconds.

I then multiplied the flow rates for both inlets by this variable, so that after 30 seconds the flow rate went from whatever it was defined as to 0. However, I had a lot of issues with the number of Newtonian iterations being too high, and was unable to fix this after playing around with it quite a bit (usually getting an error message of "Repeated error test failures, may have reached a singularity). Are there simpler ways of doing this?

Thanks for any suggestions!

0 Replies Last Post Nov 22, 2014, 4:04 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Chris Wolfram

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.