Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

What the hell is the Y parameter on the FSI example?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello:

I was reading about this example: www.comsol.com/model/download/185717/models.mems.fluid_structure_interaction.pdf that uses the MEMS module for show the FSI capacity of COMSOL and the ALE implementation.

All it's ok until I read about the inlet velocity expressed as:

U0 = u_mean*6*(H-Y)*Y/H^2

I understand and I see where comes u_mean, but in any place you explain what the hell is Y???

I can imagine Y could be the length of the channel or perhaps the height of the membrane placed in the middle.

Could you explain me what means that Y and why the U0 expression has that form?

3 Replies Last Post Dec 19, 2014, 10:32 a.m. EST

Posted: 9 years ago Nov 4, 2014, 9:04 p.m. EST
It is the 'y' position in the Material Frame. You can read more about it in the "About Frames" section of the Reference Manual, under Deformed Geometry and Moving Mesh

--
Steven Conrad, MD PhD
LSU Health
It is the 'y' position in the Material Frame. You can read more about it in the "About Frames" section of the Reference Manual, under Deformed Geometry and Moving Mesh -- Steven Conrad, MD PhD LSU Health

Posted: 9 years ago Dec 18, 2014, 4:11 p.m. EST
Thanks
Thanks

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago Dec 19, 2014, 10:32 a.m. EST
As a gentle reminder, the Discussion Forum rules state

"Offensive Posts, Links or Images: Do not use profanity, racial, ethnic, religious, or other slurs, or post, or any other offensive material."

Best regards,
Jeff
As a gentle reminder, the Discussion Forum rules state "Offensive Posts, Links or Images: Do not use profanity, racial, ethnic, religious, or other slurs, or post, or any other offensive material." Best regards, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.