Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem Modeling Radiation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am currently trying to model a surface to surface radiation problem to see the change in view factor between two geometries; however, I first attempted a very simple control case. The case was just radiation between two parallel, finite rectangles. I just set two temperature boundary conditions.
In this case, there exists an analytical expression for the view factor. I modeled the expression in MatLab and it showed me that the change in view factor when I move from 10 um in gap size to 100 nm would be 15% of the value at 10 um.

Since I defined the temperature of the two planes in comsol, a simple thermal resistance network analysis can reveal that for two similar materials (the case here), that the change in radiative heat flow (W) would be directly proportional to the change in view factor. However, when I do the simulations in comsol for different gap distances and integrate the heat flux (W/m2) over the surface for total heat flow, I get a change of 21%, which is an error of 40% compared to the analytical solution.

Has anyone run into the same problem before? This makes me doubt any results I calculated in my previous models that involved radiation.

0 Replies Last Post Jan 22, 2014, 11:19 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Yashar Ganjeh

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.