Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Laser Drilling on silicon carbide

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to simulate material removal during percussion laser drilling. The laser(Heat) source must move along the depth of the hole as the material is removed. The material needs to be removed as it reaches melting temperature.
How can this be simulated? Can a moving Mesh boundary be incorporated?

Also there is a model for trepan drilling where laser pulse is moved in a circular curve. Can this be used to simulate moving laser beam along depth?

2 Replies Last Post Jul 22, 2015, 5:49 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Goutham

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 10 years ago Oct 17, 2014, 5:48 a.m. EDT
did u finish the simulation

how to do laser drilling model
did u finish the simulation how to do laser drilling model

Posted: 9 years ago Jul 22, 2015, 5:49 p.m. EDT

I am trying to simulate material removal during percussion laser drilling. The laser(Heat) source must move along the depth of the hole as the material is removed. The material needs to be removed as it reaches melting temperature.
How can this be simulated? Can a moving Mesh boundary be incorporated?

Also there is a model for trepan drilling where laser pulse is moved in a circular curve. Can this be used to simulate moving laser beam along depth?

Hi Goutham,

Did you find any answer to the problem? I am kinda dealing with the same issue. Let me know if you have any suggestion.

Thanks

--
S. H. Alavi
[QUOTE] I am trying to simulate material removal during percussion laser drilling. The laser(Heat) source must move along the depth of the hole as the material is removed. The material needs to be removed as it reaches melting temperature. How can this be simulated? Can a moving Mesh boundary be incorporated? Also there is a model for trepan drilling where laser pulse is moved in a circular curve. Can this be used to simulate moving laser beam along depth? [/QUOTE] Hi Goutham, Did you find any answer to the problem? I am kinda dealing with the same issue. Let me know if you have any suggestion. Thanks -- S. H. Alavi

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.