Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Interrupting Parametric sweep without loosing results

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
i'm running a large parametric sweep which turned out to dramatically slow down during the last few combinations. My machine has been crunching for days now and i'm wondering if there's a way to interrupt the sweep without loosing the results already generated...
anybody tried that before?

thanks, martin

3 Replies Last Post Jan 21, 2014, 11:37 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 20, 2014, 6:39 p.m. EST

Hi,
i'm running a large parametric sweep which turned out to dramatically slow down during the last few combinations. My machine has been crunching for days now and i'm wondering if there's a way to interrupt the sweep without loosing the results already generated...
anybody tried that before?

thanks, martin

This is an important question. I also would like to know the answer...

--
Pu, ZHANG
DTU Fotonik
[QUOTE] Hi, i'm running a large parametric sweep which turned out to dramatically slow down during the last few combinations. My machine has been crunching for days now and i'm wondering if there's a way to interrupt the sweep without loosing the results already generated... anybody tried that before? thanks, martin [/QUOTE] This is an important question. I also would like to know the answer... -- Pu, ZHANG DTU Fotonik

Sven Friedel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 21, 2014, 11:32 a.m. EST
Hi,

luckily - you are here absolutely safe with COMSOL. Just make sure to press the "Stop" button in the progress window. This wil interrupt the solver sequence but keep all results that have been created so far.

More specifically, if you see more than one "Stop" buttons in your progress window, start with the one at the bottom, which marks innermost loop in a complex solver sequence. Then gradually move upwards with the stop buttons. If you'd stop only the TOP solver process, it would be terminated only when it comes to the next loop, so all the subprocesses would still finish their work beforehand and it might take longer to see the computation being interrupted.

Hope that helps - if not, let me know.

Sven
Hi, luckily - you are here absolutely safe with COMSOL. Just make sure to press the "Stop" button in the progress window. This wil interrupt the solver sequence but keep all results that have been created so far. More specifically, if you see more than one "Stop" buttons in your progress window, start with the one at the bottom, which marks innermost loop in a complex solver sequence. Then gradually move upwards with the stop buttons. If you'd stop only the TOP solver process, it would be terminated only when it comes to the next loop, so all the subprocesses would still finish their work beforehand and it might take longer to see the computation being interrupted. Hope that helps - if not, let me know. Sven

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 21, 2014, 11:37 a.m. EST
Hi, Sven!

Thanks for the reply!

How about running on a cluster without a GUI? Is there a safe way to stop the job?

Best!
--
Pu, ZHANG
DTU Fotonik
Hi, Sven! Thanks for the reply! How about running on a cluster without a GUI? Is there a safe way to stop the job? Best! -- Pu, ZHANG DTU Fotonik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.