Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

No change in a time dependend model. Where is the fault?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I tried a very simple model:
= 3-D cylinder from
= copper (from the builtin material library) with an
= initial temperature of 293.15 K
= insulated at all surfaces, with one
= heated bottom surface at 1W/m^2 (overwriting the all-sided insulation for this surface.)

I used the study
= time-dependend
= time span= 0 to 100 s in 1 s time steps

I visualized the result at a surface vertically reaching from the heated bottom of the cylinder to the top surface.

I. e. there is heat input from one side and there are non-zero thermal parameters for the copper.
But surprisingly, no change in time can be found in the model result ! As You see in the attached file, after 100 s the whole cylinder is still at 293.15K.

Any idea, what I might have overlooked?

2 Replies Last Post Jan 9, 2014, 5:32 a.m. EST
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 9, 2014, 4:58 a.m. EST
Hans,

but obviously you do have a temperature gradient. It is small, but 1 W/m2 is very low power too.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hans, but obviously you do have a temperature gradient. It is small, but 1 W/m2 is very low power too. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 9, 2014, 5:32 a.m. EST
Thank You, completely correct!
Thank You, completely correct!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.