Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

New to COMSOL - Issues with Modelling a MEMS Coated Micromirror (2D)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am new to COMSOL software, however I have started building a 2D model of a MEMS Micromirror with a thin film coating of SiO2. My aim is to match experimental results regarding the radius of curvature given a change in temperature. To do this I will have to fiddle about with Young's Modulus and CTE, since these are not well known for thin films.

The file is attached, and is able to run error-free. However I am very sceptical of the results produced. I have a 2-step process, the first being application of the coating, and then the second just a simple step up or down in temperature. The results show a curvature in the upward direction for the first step, then a very large change in curvature downwards, even though the temperature change should be smaller and in the same direction (Ttop is deposition temperature, Troom is cooling to room temperature, Tchange is change in room temperature). So I am questioning my current setup, or perhaps I am misunderstanding some of the features.

Things I am unsure of:

- Strain Reference temperature for the second step
- Structure of the solver
- Initial values for second step

Any advice people could give me regarding this would be very much appreciated. If you need any more details I will provide them (if I know how!).

Thanks,
Alan

0 Replies Last Post Nov 27, 2013, 11:03 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Alan Paterson

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.