Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

visualization of results with hiding, volume works surface not

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear,

If I want to do a visualization of the results, I need just a part of the total structure to be plotted.
Therefore I make a view and hide the parts which must not be visable.
When I enter a volume I see what I want to have only the visable part.
But as soon as I start to plot a surface or a slice it gives me the whole structure which is to complex to be interpretated by plotting.

How can I solve this problem, thanks in advance for the answers.
The hiding is working when doing volume plots but not when doing surface plots.

Regards
Hans

2 Replies Last Post Sep 3, 2013, 2:17 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 3, 2013, 2:06 a.m. EDT
Yes, that is the correct behaviour. But you can also select the surfaces that you want to hide:
under View 1/Hide Geometric Entities 1 you can choose the"Geometry entity level" to
surface.

This can be tedious, because you might be clicking many faces. There is an alternative
way: under Results/Data Sets you can add a selection to each data set. There you would select
the volumes you want to show(!). If you activate "propagate to lower dimensions" only surfaces
will be shown as you wish.

Regards

Jens
Yes, that is the correct behaviour. But you can also select the surfaces that you want to hide: under View 1/Hide Geometric Entities 1 you can choose the"Geometry entity level" to surface. This can be tedious, because you might be clicking many faces. There is an alternative way: under Results/Data Sets you can add a selection to each data set. There you would select the volumes you want to show(!). If you activate "propagate to lower dimensions" only surfaces will be shown as you wish. Regards Jens

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 3, 2013, 2:17 a.m. EDT
Jens,

thanks for the clear answer, the work around works perfectly.
indeed hiding al surfaces would take way to much time, making a selection is easy and works great
Thanks for the fast answer.

Regards
Hans
Jens, thanks for the clear answer, the work around works perfectly. indeed hiding al surfaces would take way to much time, making a selection is easy and works great Thanks for the fast answer. Regards Hans

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.