Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Data set solution variables

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear sir,

I am following the 'cylinder_flow' model from the model library to illustrate integration of data sets. However, I am not sure which variables are being integrated. Therefore I have these very simple questions for advanced users:

1. If I click on 'equation view' I can access all the variable names for the physical model, the boundaries, etc, but I cannot find where it tells me which variables are being solved for. I see two fields for the dependent variable section, mod1.u and mod1.p, velocity and pressure, are these the only variables Comsol is solving for? (if I click on the expression button in a surface plot I will see many more result choices: see figure 0 )

2. If I assume that mod1.u and mod1.p are the only outputs of the calculation, then should I assume that they are both being integrated when I apply an 'Integral' to the Data Sets node? (figure 1). In this case, where can I see the name of the variables produced? In the model pdf it is indicated that the variables reacf(u) and reacf(v) are created after this operation but it does not indicate where they are created or where or how they can be seen. In contrast to this, I noticed reacf(u) and reacf(v) are created in the Structural Mechanics module (vibrating_string.mph) even though the dependent variable listed is only mod1.u,

3. Therefore, how does one I access the variable names for the solutions in the Data Sets? all I see is 'solution1' (see figure 2) How do I visualize which variables are being solved for and which variables are being produced as a result of the calculation? similarly for when an integration or other operator is applied, one can only apply these to the entire solution set and not a particular variable?

I really appreciate any comments to help me out with these questions,

Thanks a lot!

Lina

0 Replies Last Post Aug 30, 2013, 2:10 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Lina Castano

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.