Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Maximum values over time in a 2D spatial domain

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am running transient simulations of solute transport in a 2D domain. I would like to find a 2D spatial profile of maximum value of solute concentration over simulation time, which may not occur at the same time.

I tried 'domain probe' and 'maximum coupling', which seemed to provide the maximum value in the entire domain, not on the spatial point basis. If for a point, the dull way I would use is to export data to a text file, which is then imported to Matlab and maximum value is evaluated. But in the case of entire domain, could anyone please have any suggestions? Thanks a lot!

3 Replies Last Post Aug 27, 2013, 6:44 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 25, 2013, 5:04 p.m. EDT
Hi,

in a 2D Plot Group, right click on it and choose More Plots > Max/Min Surface. Using this kind of plot, you can see not only the value of max and min but also the location.

Kind regards
Hi, in a 2D Plot Group, right click on it and choose More Plots > Max/Min Surface. Using this kind of plot, you can see not only the value of max and min but also the location. Kind regards

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 27, 2013, 6:22 a.m. EDT
Hi Fabio
Thank you very much for your reply. I tried your suggestion, which still gave me the maximum value over the domaim at a given time point. For my problem, I want to know the maximum value over a series of time points at a given spatial location, which is that at a spatial point (xi,yi), the maximum c (xi,yi) over [t0,t1,t2...tn]. Do you have any idea to do that? Thanks a lot.

Best regards
Hi Fabio Thank you very much for your reply. I tried your suggestion, which still gave me the maximum value over the domaim at a given time point. For my problem, I want to know the maximum value over a series of time points at a given spatial location, which is that at a spatial point (xi,yi), the maximum c (xi,yi) over [t0,t1,t2...tn]. Do you have any idea to do that? Thanks a lot. Best regards

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 27, 2013, 6:44 a.m. EDT
Hi,

ok I got your question. Try to have a look at this thread www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/14441
In substance, you can use that operator once per coordinate, i.e. maxop(yourvariable,x) and then maxop(yourvariable,y), don't try maxop(yourvariable,x,y), it will give an error for sure!
You can then use Global Evaluation, and collect x, y and values of your max variable. The time array [t0,t1 etc.] is the same you define in the time range in your time dependent step.

I hope it's what you need!
Hi, ok I got your question. Try to have a look at this thread http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/14441 In substance, you can use that operator once per coordinate, i.e. maxop(yourvariable,x) and then maxop(yourvariable,y), don't try maxop(yourvariable,x,y), it will give an error for sure! You can then use Global Evaluation, and collect x, y and values of your max variable. The time array [t0,t1 etc.] is the same you define in the time range in your time dependent step. I hope it's what you need!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.