Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Generic 3D color/contour plot of parametric sweep values

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I do a parametric sweep and sweep two variables (say, width=1,2,3; height=4,5,6). I select the dropdown box that says "All combinations" so that I get all combinations - i.e.
width=1 and height=4
width=1 and height=5
width=1 and height=6
width=2 and height=4
width=2 and height=5
width=2 and height=6
width=3 and height=4
width=3 and height=5
width=3 and height=6
and I solve for some global value such as total power.

Now usually what I do next is take that "total power" data and put it into matlab to make a 3d plot (2d = width and height, 3rd dimension = total power. So the 3D plot is a color plot or contour plot)

However I'd like to do that from within COMSOL. I try adding a 3D plot group to Results node, but it appears that is only designed for 3D visualizations of some value over the device geometry, not for generic 3D plots.

Can this be done in COMSOL?

Thanks

1 Reply Last Post Aug 29, 2013, 3:32 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello dnh37

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 29, 2013, 3:32 p.m. EDT
I had the same problem but figured out how to do it in matlab.
First, export your data points to matlab
Second, rearrange your data points in a proper order, for example:
x = [x1 x2....
x1 x2...
x1 x2...];
y = [y1 y1...
y2 y2...]
z = ....
You can refer to meshgrid() for this part
Finally, use the matlab function contour(x,y,z)
I had the same problem but figured out how to do it in matlab. First, export your data points to matlab Second, rearrange your data points in a proper order, for example: x = [x1 x2.... x1 x2... x1 x2...]; y = [y1 y1... y2 y2...] z = .... You can refer to meshgrid() for this part Finally, use the matlab function contour(x,y,z)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.