Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

create a gaussian beam

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I'm using RF section of Comsol Multiphisics 35a and I have found a problem. I'm working with propagation structure and I have to define a gaussian beam at input port, that is not directed along a single axis but lies in yz plane. I didn't found this option in the programme so I thought it has to be defined manually. Can you help me? How can I define this gaussian beam? Moreover how can I define generally a gaussian beam port with comsol?

Marco P.Bolzoni

6 Replies Last Post Mar 30, 2011, 3:11 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 12, 2010, 2:30 a.m. EST
Hi

Have you tried to define a local coordinate system and use that as axis reference ?

Good luck
Ivar
Hi Have you tried to define a local coordinate system and use that as axis reference ? Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 29, 2011, 6:28 p.m. EDT
Hi Marco,

I am facing the problem, not knowing how to generate a gaussian pulse for UWB. Have you figured out how to do it?
Please help.
Hi Marco, I am facing the problem, not knowing how to generate a gaussian pulse for UWB. Have you figured out how to do it? Please help.

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 29, 2011, 6:30 p.m. EDT
HI Ivar,

I want to assign and generate gaussian pulses for an antenna port. Would you be able to help how to do it?
Or any tutorial to generate gaussian pulse for RF.

Thanks,
Kirthika.
HI Ivar, I want to assign and generate gaussian pulses for an antenna port. Would you be able to help how to do it? Or any tutorial to generate gaussian pulse for RF. Thanks, Kirthika.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 30, 2011, 1:45 a.m. EDT
Hi

make a function, in V4 Gaussian functions are already "pre-cooked" for you, do not forget to plot it to check the values ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi make a function, in V4 Gaussian functions are already "pre-cooked" for you, do not forget to plot it to check the values ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 30, 2011, 12:58 p.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,

I was able to generate the gaussian pulse now (Thank you). But how do I assign that to the port.
Please help.

Thanks..
Hi Ivar, I was able to generate the gaussian pulse now (Thank you). But how do I assign that to the port. Please help. Thanks..

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 30, 2011, 3:11 p.m. EDT
Hi

In the port window you should ahve a charge or voltage source term (if turned on, and somewhat model/physics dependent, just cange that formula from a constant/parameter to a function dependng on something, such as time ...

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi In the port window you should ahve a charge or voltage source term (if turned on, and somewhat model/physics dependent, just cange that formula from a constant/parameter to a function dependng on something, such as time ... -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.