Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulating a Magneto-caloric effect in Comsol

Vitul Raj Govindaraju

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a problem in which i have a permanent magnet. In regards to theory of Magneto-caloric effect, if i pass the magnetic field to the gadolinium(rare earth, lanthanide group in periodic table), there will be an increase of temperature(in Gd) due to magneto-caloric effect and when i remove the magnetic field from the Gadolinium, the temperature decreases and drop below the room temperature. My questions are:
1) I can able to create a block of Gd using the Gd's physical property but how to create a block of permanent magnet in Comsol?
2) Do i need to use a step/ramp function when i want to increase or decrease the temperature in the Gd, due to MCE?

Please advise and thanks in advance.

1 Reply Last Post Feb 15, 2013, 2:22 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 15, 2013, 2:22 p.m. EST
Hi

I'm not familiar with that phenomeny, but you need to add some equations to transform the magnetic field into the related thermal effect. Currently I know only Joule heating from Eddy current induction of a moving object in a magnetic field (or an immobile object in a changing field).

It's not only some material properties, its also some "physics" correction to add any aditional coupling

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not familiar with that phenomeny, but you need to add some equations to transform the magnetic field into the related thermal effect. Currently I know only Joule heating from Eddy current induction of a moving object in a magnetic field (or an immobile object in a changing field). It's not only some material properties, its also some "physics" correction to add any aditional coupling -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.