Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem with insulation...

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

While using the Non-Isothermal Flow (nitf) and Heat Transfer in Solids (ht), I am facing problem with insulation being allocated to the faces that are not insulated. I suppose that I am not getting correct results because of this issue. Can anybody help me how to correct it? Actually, my model does not need any insulation.

3 Replies Last Post Feb 4, 2013, 10:03 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 4, 2013, 1:47 a.m. EST
Hi

Isolation goes, by default, on all faces not given other overriding BC conditions, so I would rather say Check carefully your BC. Do not forget that in multi physics you need to set all BC for ALL dependent variables, so sometimes you need several symmetries or other conditions

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Isolation goes, by default, on all faces not given other overriding BC conditions, so I would rather say Check carefully your BC. Do not forget that in multi physics you need to set all BC for ALL dependent variables, so sometimes you need several symmetries or other conditions -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 4, 2013, 3:46 a.m. EST

Hi

Isolation goes, by default, on all faces not given other overriding BC conditions, so I would rather say Check carefully your BC. Do not forget that in multi physics you need to set all BC for ALL dependent variables, so sometimes you need several symmetries or other conditions

--
Good luck
Ivar

Sir,

I have selected some faces of interaction between fluid and solid for heat flux and it is showing those faces as overridden in the thermal insulation tab. Is the thermal insulation de-activated for those faces or any error has occurred??
[QUOTE] Hi Isolation goes, by default, on all faces not given other overriding BC conditions, so I would rather say Check carefully your BC. Do not forget that in multi physics you need to set all BC for ALL dependent variables, so sometimes you need several symmetries or other conditions -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Sir, I have selected some faces of interaction between fluid and solid for heat flux and it is showing those faces as overridden in the thermal insulation tab. Is the thermal insulation de-activated for those faces or any error has occurred??

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 4, 2013, 10:03 a.m. EST
Hi

read the doc on contributive and exclusive BC's for your physics. The first nodes, with a "D" are defaults that COMSOL set-up to have a coherent initial situation. while you add new BC's some interfere with the ones above, some override(the one latest further down has the precedence, except if you explicitely "disable it") , other contributes (add in so both are bringing something)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi read the doc on contributive and exclusive BC's for your physics. The first nodes, with a "D" are defaults that COMSOL set-up to have a coherent initial situation. while you add new BC's some interfere with the ones above, some override(the one latest further down has the precedence, except if you explicitely "disable it") , other contributes (add in so both are bringing something) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.