Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

URGENT: Meshing geometry?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am currently using 4.2a to determine the flow in a micromixer. I am having trouble with the meshing the geometry. I keep getting an error and meshing is not complete. I have attached the file. Please provide recommendations and/or direction.

2 Replies Last Post Jan 8, 2013, 5:18 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 8, 2013, 5:00 a.m. EST
Hi

you have got some "silver" faces at your Y shape elbows, try using "sqrt(2)/2" instead of the 1.414, you have not provided enough digits ;)

I would also propose that you remove the tick "unite with input object for your Extrude 2, ad remove the Union1 as it's redundant with the "Finish Union" This will give you more elements, but they will mesh better

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you have got some "silver" faces at your Y shape elbows, try using "sqrt(2)/2" instead of the 1.414, you have not provided enough digits ;) I would also propose that you remove the tick "unite with input object for your Extrude 2, ad remove the Union1 as it's redundant with the "Finish Union" This will give you more elements, but they will mesh better -- Good luck Ivar

Bjorn Bretz COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 8, 2013, 5:18 a.m. EST
The reason for the meshing error is that the geometry contains two very narrow faces, face 8 and 10. These narrow faces are a result of the very short edges 6 and 8 in the 2D geometry created under the "Geometry 1" > "Work Plane 1" > "Geometry" node. One way to avoid this issue is to use a "Polygon" feature instead of the "Rectangle", "Move", and "Union" features.

Sincerely,
Bjorn Bretz
COMSOL
The reason for the meshing error is that the geometry contains two very narrow faces, face 8 and 10. These narrow faces are a result of the very short edges 6 and 8 in the 2D geometry created under the "Geometry 1" > "Work Plane 1" > "Geometry" node. One way to avoid this issue is to use a "Polygon" feature instead of the "Rectangle", "Move", and "Union" features. Sincerely, Bjorn Bretz COMSOL

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.