Normal vector to a selected boundary

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi ALL,

What is the expression for the normal vector to a selected boundary? For instance, I tried plotting the velocity vector normal to a selected boundary using (v.nx)>0 to represent y-component velocity in the upward direction but I did not get the expected result.

Thank you.

2 Replies Last Post Nov 6, 2023, 7:08 p.m. EST
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 months ago Nov 3, 2023, 7:10 p.m. EDT
Updated: 6 months ago Nov 3, 2023, 7:10 p.m. EDT

The normal vector on the surface is given by . If you have a vector field given by , then the component of that field that is along the normal to the aforementioned surface is given by its scalar product with that surface normal vector, i.e., . (In 2D, use two components instead of three.)

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
The normal vector on the surface is given by (nx,ny,nz). If you have a vector field given by (Vx,Vy,Vz), then the component of that field that is along the normal to the aforementioned surface is given by its scalar product with that surface normal vector, i.e., nx*Vx+ny*Vy+nz*Vz. (In 2D, use two components instead of three.)

Posted: 6 months ago Nov 6, 2023, 7:08 p.m. EST
Updated: 6 months ago Nov 6, 2023, 7:07 p.m. EST

The normal vector on the surface is given by (nx,ny,nz). If you have a vector field given by (Vx,Vy,Vz), then the component of that field that is along the normal to the aforementioned surface is given by its scalar product with that surface normal vector, i.e., nxVx+nyVy+nz*Vz. (In 2D, use two components instead of three.)

Thank you so much! This perfectly solved my concern.

>The normal vector on the surface is given by (nx,ny,nz). If you have a vector field given by (Vx,Vy,Vz), then the component of that field that is along the normal to the aforementioned surface is given by its scalar product with that surface normal vector, i.e., nx*Vx+ny*Vy+nz*Vz. (In 2D, use two components instead of three.) Thank you so much! This perfectly solved my concern.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.