Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

PZT/piezo material properties

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am working in version 4.3a structural mechanics module with Piezoelectric Material Model.

I am a little confused about which material properties are which in the matrix. The input field for the PZT-material properties is 3x6 = 18 numbers.

For strain charge form, I expect d33 to be 22.5e-11 [C/N], but it seems it is -9.7e-11 [C/N] for the default PZT-8 material. The documentation says that the input field is in voigt notation "For entering these matrices, the ordering is different from the standard ordering used in COMSOL Multiphysics. Instead, use the following order (Voigt notation), which is the common convention for piezoelectric materials: xx, yy, zz, yz, xz, zy. "

What are the 18 numbers then? If I have a 5x5 matrix, I should have only 15 numbers and if I have a 6x6 matrix, I should have 20 numbers. What am I missing here.

More discussion in the documentation would be helpful.

1 Reply Last Post Nov 20, 2012, 2:04 p.m. EST

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 20, 2012, 2:04 p.m. EST
I am guessing the answer. See attached image. Does someone here know if this is correct?
I am guessing the answer. See attached image. Does someone here know if this is correct?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.