Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how create solids

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I imported two objects as .stl files: the topographic surface-imp1 (see figure topo.png) and the top of a geological unit-imp2 (see figure top.png). Finally, I added a block-blk1 (see figure vol.png) that fits the previous surfaces and it delimits the volume within wich I would simulate the heat transfer process.
In Model / Definitions I can see the three (automatically) recognized domains: the first rapresents the reservoir (res.png), the second the cap rock (cap.png) and I would delete the third one (del.png), as the topographic surface has to be the top of the model.

I have to generate two solid corresponding to res and cap domains, how can do it?

Thanks for any suggestion,

Gianluca

2 Replies Last Post Jan 28, 2013, 2:20 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Gianluca Gola

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 28, 2013, 11:03 a.m. EST
Do you have any progress? I have also a similar issue. Unfortunately, comsol support could not resolve my issue!
Similar to yours, I have also 2 domains. One of the domain is generated in comsol (lets say a box) and second geometry is imported as stl file (like the cap rock surface).

In my case, comsol fails to perform boolean operations (union, difference, etc.) domains generated using stl files. So I cannot produce a final geometry for my model :(

Maybe we can exchange some experience to get a solution to these issues...

regards
Dr. Kaymak
Do you have any progress? I have also a similar issue. Unfortunately, comsol support could not resolve my issue! Similar to yours, I have also 2 domains. One of the domain is generated in comsol (lets say a box) and second geometry is imported as stl file (like the cap rock surface). In my case, comsol fails to perform boolean operations (union, difference, etc.) domains generated using stl files. So I cannot produce a final geometry for my model :( Maybe we can exchange some experience to get a solution to these issues... regards Dr. Kaymak

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 28, 2013, 2:20 p.m. EST
Hi

STL is not really any "solid" method of geometry transfer (in none of the senses you might give it ;) Can't you get a surface height map ? or something similar as you seem to have only a few vertical height layers. THen the interpolation function might be used over an x-y coordinate map

And use rather the latest version, and forget old/early 4.0 ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi STL is not really any "solid" method of geometry transfer (in none of the senses you might give it ;) Can't you get a surface height map ? or something similar as you seem to have only a few vertical height layers. THen the interpolation function might be used over an x-y coordinate map And use rather the latest version, and forget old/early 4.0 ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.