Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Can I assign different transient solution steps to different physical fields simultaneously?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone, I would like to ask you a question, can I assign different steps to different physical fields simultaneously?

I'm doing a simulation of a lithium-ion battery where the electrochemical field state changes very quickly, so it takes steps as small as 1 second. However, the change of the thermal field is relatively slow (because the propagation time of temperature is slow), so I think it is not necessary to use the step size of 1 second for the thermal field, but about 10 seconds, so as to reduce the calculation time. It should be noted that in a battery, the electrochemical and thermal fields are coupled to each other.

In short, the steps I expect to solve are (please see my attached graph):

1s: Electrochemical field solving →2s: Electrochemical field solving →... →10s: Electrochemical field and thermal field solving →11s: Electrochemical field solving →...→20s: Electrochemical field and thermal field solving→...

Can I do this in the powerful COMSOL? Thank you!!

0 Replies Last Post Jul 31, 2023, 10:46 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Xixi jia

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.