Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Permanent Bar Magnet

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear
I am completely new to comsol multiphysics. I am trying to visualise the magnetic field of a permanent bar magnet. I will be using grade n35 neodyium magnet having a magnetic flux density of 1.3 tesla. The geometry will be width 10mm, height 5mm, depth 5mm.
I have no idea how to add the north pole and south pole of the magnet and add the material.
I am using version 4.3. Any help will be much appreciated.

1 Reply Last Post Nov 27, 2012, 7:55 a.m. EST

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 27, 2012, 7:55 a.m. EST
Permanant magnets are ussually mathematically described by surface currents - small layer of currents circulating on surface of magnets (sum of all micro-currents around seperate dipoles), basicaly turning them into solenids.

Therefore generally you have to solve Poisons eq. for vector potential A: lapA = -mi0*j

Surface currents are conected with magnetization and remanent field in following way: rotM = j and M = Br/mi0, where M - magnetization and Br - remanent magnetic field of permanent magnet.

Therefore currnet density you have to define on surface as boundary condition will have form: j = C*Br/(mi0*L), where C - some constant, L - length dimension. I dont know exact formula, sorry... But I would try something like/ C = 1 and L = radius...

I havent done this in COMSOL but I think it should work in similar way.

I hope it helps.
Permanant magnets are ussually mathematically described by surface currents - small layer of currents circulating on surface of magnets (sum of all micro-currents around seperate dipoles), basicaly turning them into solenids. Therefore generally you have to solve Poisons eq. for vector potential A: lapA = -mi0*j Surface currents are conected with magnetization and remanent field in following way: rotM = j and M = Br/mi0, where M - magnetization and Br - remanent magnetic field of permanent magnet. Therefore currnet density you have to define on surface as boundary condition will have form: j = C*Br/(mi0*L), where C - some constant, L - length dimension. I dont know exact formula, sorry... But I would try something like/ C = 1 and L = radius... I havent done this in COMSOL but I think it should work in similar way. I hope it helps.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.