Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

difference between segregated and fully coupled solver comsol

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi folks,

I am trying to understand the advantages of each of these solvers, and when to use or the other.

I looked through the docs but I am left with the same doubts.

Can anyone point out the main differences and pros/cons of these solvers, and perhaps the iterative solvers, also.

Thanks.

Cheers!

R.Silva

2 Replies Last Post Sep 2, 2012, 6:08 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 2, 2012, 5:11 a.m. EDT
Basically segregated solver is based on iteration. As for how it iterates it's well explained in the documentation.
Basically segregated solver is based on iteration. As for how it iterates it's well explained in the documentation.

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 2, 2012, 6:08 p.m. EDT
Actually both the segregated and couple fully coupled solvers require iterations for nonlinear problems. They both also can use direct or iterative linear solvers. The main difference is that the fully coupled solver operates on the full Jacobian matrix as one entity. The segregated solver splits the Jacobian matrix into smaller sub-problems, usually by degree of freedom type. Different solution strategies can then be used for each sub-problem. The optimal choice between segregated and fully coupled as well as the optimal segregation technique is problem specific. COMSOL has done a great job in my opinion with their default solver selections.

The fully coupled solver generally requires less iterations but takes up more memory and solution time per iteration. This statement is based on my experience and I realize it has many exceptions.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Actually both the segregated and couple fully coupled solvers require iterations for nonlinear problems. They both also can use direct or iterative linear solvers. The main difference is that the fully coupled solver operates on the full Jacobian matrix as one entity. The segregated solver splits the Jacobian matrix into smaller sub-problems, usually by degree of freedom type. Different solution strategies can then be used for each sub-problem. The optimal choice between segregated and fully coupled as well as the optimal segregation technique is problem specific. COMSOL has done a great job in my opinion with their default solver selections. The fully coupled solver generally requires less iterations but takes up more memory and solution time per iteration. This statement is based on my experience and I realize it has many exceptions. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.