Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Creating randomly placed beads/particles in COMSOL?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am trying to model a uFluidic capacitor system for electrical impedance spectrometry. It would be ideal if I could create a variable (> 1000) particles with certain properties (permittivity , conductivity) and place them randomly on the electrodes. They could be of spherical form.

I can think of making a sphere, with required properties, and placing on electrodes. However this method will only work for few particles and this approach cannot be used for huge number of particles. Eventually my beads in this experiment will be replaced by cells & we would like to count them based on changes in this impedance.

Any suggestions to model the beads in solution with random locations will be helpful. I would also be interested in seeing the dielectrophoretic force driving these particles in the solution, but this can all be added, I suppose once the beads are modeled.

Thanks in Advance,
Santosh.

3 Replies Last Post Jul 31, 2012, 2:58 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 24, 2012, 7:57 p.m. EDT
I'm using particle tracing module for similar task. You may set it up to give close-to-random particle distribution. Then assign 0 velocity and 0 forces for the particles to make sure they won't move during the simulations.
I'm using particle tracing module for similar task. You may set it up to give close-to-random particle distribution. Then assign 0 velocity and 0 forces for the particles to make sure they won't move during the simulations.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 31, 2012, 1:00 p.m. EDT
Hi Alex,

Thanks very much for this solution. But could you also elaborate a little as to how you setup the particle positions to near random values with particle tracing module. I tried with it as well, but I could only specify them on inlet port.

Regards,
Santosh
Hi Alex, Thanks very much for this solution. But could you also elaborate a little as to how you setup the particle positions to near random values with particle tracing module. I tried with it as well, but I could only specify them on inlet port. Regards, Santosh

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 31, 2012, 2:58 p.m. EDT
in Mathematical PT there is "Release" node. You can specify given number of particles in any domain.
in Mathematical PT there is "Release" node. You can specify given number of particles in any domain.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.