Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Constraint the sum of two variables

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am working on a problem with two dependent variables, and I have two PDEs to update these variables, respectively. Each variable should be between 0 and 1, and I constrain them via setting upper and lower limits in COMSOL. In addition, I also need to constrain the summation of these two variables smaller than 1, but I did not find a way to do this in COMSOL. Could anyone give me some tips about this?

2 Replies Last Post Feb 24, 2022, 5:43 a.m. EST
Acculution ApS Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago Feb 8, 2022, 2:44 a.m. EST

Can't you define a new variable as the sum of the two, and use that subsequently?

-------------------
René Christensen, PhD
Acculution ApS
www.acculution.com
info@acculution.com
Can't you define a new variable as the sum of the two, and use that subsequently?

Posted: 2 years ago Feb 24, 2022, 5:43 a.m. EST

Thanks for your suggestion, Rene. I will try to implement this.

>Can't you define a new variable as the sum of the two, and use that subsequently? Thanks for your suggestion, Rene. I will try to implement this.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.