Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mixing two different fluids in fluid flow

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I have been working on a flow analyzer that has two inlet and an outlet. I have two fluids, one is very dense and the other is a very dilute substance, both of them are completely different and they do not react with each other. I have to inject them separately to two inlets at different velocities. There is only one domain for the whole device.
I used laminar flow and transport of dilute species physics but my problem is that I cannot use two distinct liquids to inject. I made two different material but one of them always overrides the other and finally either one of them is only used in the process and the density plot of the device show that the density is uniform throughout. How can this be solved in comsol ?

9 Replies Last Post Jun 14, 2017, 2:16 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 12, 2012, 6:14 p.m. EDT
I think you should use another physical field. You can choose it from chemical engieering model........

I think you should use another physical field. You can choose it from chemical engieering model........

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 21, 2012, 9:12 a.m. EDT
Hi Melvin,

Were you able to solve the problem? I am also facing the same problem. Could you let me know the solution in case you were able to find a way out?

Thanks in advance,

Pankaj
Hi Melvin, Were you able to solve the problem? I am also facing the same problem. Could you let me know the solution in case you were able to find a way out? Thanks in advance, Pankaj

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 22, 2012, 1:01 a.m. EDT
I am not sure about your problem but you can try the CFD/ Multiphase flow/ two phase flow, level set. If you can post your model file, then we can know your problem better.
I am not sure about your problem but you can try the CFD/ Multiphase flow/ two phase flow, level set. If you can post your model file, then we can know your problem better.

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 22, 2012, 5:23 p.m. EDT
Hi,

I tried the multiphase flow with level set but I am facing problem with the model. The solution does not seem to converge. I am attaching the model here. Could you let me know where am I going wrong?
Hi, I tried the multiphase flow with level set but I am facing problem with the model. The solution does not seem to converge. I am attaching the model here. Could you let me know where am I going wrong?

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 18, 2013, 9:16 a.m. EDT
Hi , I am facing the same problem now can you please give me a solution !
Hi , I am facing the same problem now can you please give me a solution !

Posted: 8 years ago Jul 19, 2016, 1:16 a.m. EDT
Hii,

I am working on comsol 5.0 on dehumidification model , and facing problem on mixing 2 fluids (water and moist air) on single domain.
please help me in selection of physics.
Hii, I am working on comsol 5.0 on dehumidification model , and facing problem on mixing 2 fluids (water and moist air) on single domain. please help me in selection of physics.

Posted: 7 years ago Dec 9, 2016, 9:10 p.m. EST
hello

Has anyone here ever came to a solution for the problem.

Does a multi-componant mixing simulation (Water and Glycerin,for example) even possible in Comsol?
hello Has anyone here ever came to a solution for the problem. Does a multi-componant mixing simulation (Water and Glycerin,for example) even possible in Comsol?

Posted: 7 years ago Jun 13, 2017, 1:20 p.m. EDT
Hi Gil,
Have you solved that problem of mixing two different fluids?
If you have then please upload that.

Thanks
Hi Gil, Have you solved that problem of mixing two different fluids? If you have then please upload that. Thanks

Walter Frei COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago Jun 14, 2017, 2:16 p.m. EDT
Hello,

With regards to the general question about mixing of two dissimilar fluids, please see this article:
www.comsol.com/blogs/which-multiphase-flow-interface-should-i-use/

There does also seem to be a question about modeling of water and humid air, in which case these articles, and associated models, are helpful:
www.comsol.com/blogs/intro-to-modeling-evaporative-cooling/
www.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-model-heat-and-moisture-transport-in-air-with-comsol/

In addition, if the two fluids have similar properties, but carry different species, you may find this example useful:
www.comsol.com/model/split-and-recombine-mixer-benchmark-14031

Best Regards,

Hello, With regards to the general question about mixing of two dissimilar fluids, please see this article: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/which-multiphase-flow-interface-should-i-use/ There does also seem to be a question about modeling of water and humid air, in which case these articles, and associated models, are helpful: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/intro-to-modeling-evaporative-cooling/ https://www.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-model-heat-and-moisture-transport-in-air-with-comsol/ In addition, if the two fluids have similar properties, but carry different species, you may find this example useful: https://www.comsol.com/model/split-and-recombine-mixer-benchmark-14031 Best Regards,

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.