Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Optical waveguide 3d

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm trying to model the modes in a waveguide at optical frequencies. The waveguide as a core (with slightly higher refractive index) and cladding a bit like a square optical fiber.

I have adapted the 2d waveguide model in the model library which gave the fundamental mode I expected.

In 3d however the E field is coming out zero at all points. Any suggestions to what I'm doing wrong appreciated.
Cheers
Peter

3 Replies Last Post Oct 17, 2012, 3:46 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 4, 2012, 8:18 p.m. EDT
Have you discovered what was happening?

I have the same problem now!

Thanks,

Felipe C. Salgado
Have you discovered what was happening? I have the same problem now! Thanks, Felipe C. Salgado

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 17, 2012, 3:45 a.m. EDT
Hi,

I APOLOGIZE BUT THE SYSTEM DOES NOT ALLOW ME TO UPLOAD THE FILES. Please contact me at samuele_lilliu@hotmail.it for the models.

I have noticed two things: few replies on this forum and many bugs in the COMSOL software. I would really appreciate if someone could have a look at the two models.

I am currently using the version 4.0a.

I am trying to simulate an optical fiber in 3D by using the same steps described in that 3D waveguide adapter. I would like to get a S21 plot vs frequency. For what I have seen, if you follow the same modeling strategy you get bad results.

The geometry is made of 2 cylinders, core and cladding (PLEASE SEE MODEL R12A):

GEOMETRY: coreRadius = 4.1 [um], claddingRadius = 125/8 [um], fiber length = 5 [um].

MATERIALS: I have defined two materials only with the refractive index, which are silica glass for the core (n = 1.46526) and doped silica gass for the cladding (n = 1.46).

ELECTROMAGNETIC WAVES:
- perfect electric conductor at the walls of the cladding;
- port 1 at the base of the core (input, numeric port, wave excitation at this port ON, power 1 W);
- port 2 at the other base of the core (output, numeric port, wave excit. OFF);
- scattering boundary conditions at the cladding 'rings' of the two bases.
- wave equation everywhere;

STUDY (here I follow what's written in that waveguide tutorial):
1) BOUNDARY MODE ANALYSIS at input port.
- Desired number of modes 6;
- Search for modes around 1.4625;
- Port name 1;
- Mode analysis frequency 1.9341 [Hz].
2) BOUNDARY MODE ANALYSIS at output port.
- Port name 2;
- the rest same as previous
3) FREQUENCY DOMAIN.
- a sweep of frequencies from 1e14 to 3.5e14 [Hz]

The simulation crashes and I get the following error message

THE FOLLOWING FEATURE HAS ENCOUNTERED A
- Feature: Stationary Solver 1 (sol1/s1)
- Error: Undefined value found

There is even an error in the error message... LOL. By the way I am not able to simulate frequencies between 1 and 3e14 [Hz] (I get that error message). When I use 3.5e14 Hz the simulation runs. However the fields are zero everywhere, which does not make sense. I don't see any propagating field in the structure (for the calculated mode and for 3.5e14Hz.

I have tried many things. For example different definitions of the input port: numeric, rectangular, coaxial, user defined. I have built a finer mesh for the core but nothing changes. I have modified the solvers. But nothing.

I have also tried to define the boundary conditions in a different way. So I have put the input and output ports inside the structure and defined all the boundaries of the geometry with a Scattering Boundary Condition (please see MODEL R10A). However, also in this case I don't observe any propagation.

Thanks in advanced for the reply,

SL

Hi, I APOLOGIZE BUT THE SYSTEM DOES NOT ALLOW ME TO UPLOAD THE FILES. Please contact me at samuele_lilliu@hotmail.it for the models. I have noticed two things: few replies on this forum and many bugs in the COMSOL software. I would really appreciate if someone could have a look at the two models. I am currently using the version 4.0a. I am trying to simulate an optical fiber in 3D by using the same steps described in that 3D waveguide adapter. I would like to get a S21 plot vs frequency. For what I have seen, if you follow the same modeling strategy you get bad results. The geometry is made of 2 cylinders, core and cladding (PLEASE SEE MODEL R12A): GEOMETRY: coreRadius = 4.1 [um], claddingRadius = 125/8 [um], fiber length = 5 [um]. MATERIALS: I have defined two materials only with the refractive index, which are silica glass for the core (n = 1.46526) and doped silica gass for the cladding (n = 1.46). ELECTROMAGNETIC WAVES: - perfect electric conductor at the walls of the cladding; - port 1 at the base of the core (input, numeric port, wave excitation at this port ON, power 1 W); - port 2 at the other base of the core (output, numeric port, wave excit. OFF); - scattering boundary conditions at the cladding 'rings' of the two bases. - wave equation everywhere; STUDY (here I follow what's written in that waveguide tutorial): 1) BOUNDARY MODE ANALYSIS at input port. - Desired number of modes 6; - Search for modes around 1.4625; - Port name 1; - Mode analysis frequency 1.9341 [Hz]. 2) BOUNDARY MODE ANALYSIS at output port. - Port name 2; - the rest same as previous 3) FREQUENCY DOMAIN. - a sweep of frequencies from 1e14 to 3.5e14 [Hz] The simulation crashes and I get the following error message THE FOLLOWING FEATURE HAS ENCOUNTERED A - Feature: Stationary Solver 1 (sol1/s1) - Error: Undefined value found There is even an error in the error message... LOL. By the way I am not able to simulate frequencies between 1 and 3e14 [Hz] (I get that error message). When I use 3.5e14 Hz the simulation runs. However the fields are zero everywhere, which does not make sense. I don't see any propagating field in the structure (for the calculated mode and for 3.5e14Hz. I have tried many things. For example different definitions of the input port: numeric, rectangular, coaxial, user defined. I have built a finer mesh for the core but nothing changes. I have modified the solvers. But nothing. I have also tried to define the boundary conditions in a different way. So I have put the input and output ports inside the structure and defined all the boundaries of the geometry with a Scattering Boundary Condition (please see MODEL R10A). However, also in this case I don't observe any propagation. Thanks in advanced for the reply, SL

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 17, 2012, 3:46 a.m. EDT
Here is the other file
Here is the other file

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.