Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

force linear strain

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

In structural mechanics module, why do I see no difference to the variables defined in 'equation view' when ticking 'force linear strain' in the physics setting? What's the difference between 'force linear strain' in the physics setting and 'include geometric nonlinearity' in the study setting?

10 Replies Last Post Dec 5, 2021, 5:19 a.m. EST
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago Oct 4, 2021, 7:50 a.m. EDT

When the Force linear strain check box is selected, that material is treated as geometrically linear in an otherwise geometrically nonlinear analysis. You can use it, for example, to override the geometrically nonlinear formulation which is forced by some features, such as Contact.
It is only the switch back to engineering strains that is affected. Other properties of a geometrically nonlinear formulation, such as the split between material and spatial frames are still kept. The check box has only effect if the current study step is geometrically nonlinear.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
When the *Force linear strain* check box is selected, that material is treated as geometrically linear in an otherwise geometrically nonlinear analysis. You can use it, for example, to override the geometrically nonlinear formulation which is forced by some features, such as **Contact**. It is only the switch back to engineering strains that is affected. Other properties of a geometrically nonlinear formulation, such as the split between material and spatial frames are still kept. The check box has only effect if the current study step is geometrically nonlinear.

Posted: 3 years ago Oct 4, 2021, 11:53 p.m. EDT

Dear Dr Sönnerlind, many thanks for your reply. Sorry I still don't get it completely. Does switching on/off 'force linear strain' not affect the defined variables in the 'equation view'? If it takes effect depending on the study step, the effect/difference should be reflected from the defined variables, otherwise there's no difference to the equation solving.

Dear Dr Sönnerlind, many thanks for your reply. Sorry I still don't get it completely. Does switching on/off 'force linear strain' not affect the defined variables in the 'equation view'? If it takes effect depending on the study step, the effect/difference should be reflected from the defined variables, otherwise there's no difference to the equation solving.

Posted: 3 years ago Oct 5, 2021, 3:27 a.m. EDT

Yes, it takes effect in Equation View. If you look at the expressions for the strain variables you should see it, given that Show equation view assuming points the the intended study step.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Yes, it takes effect in *Equation View*. If you look at the expressions for the strain variables you should see it, given that *Show equation view assuming* points the the intended study step.

Posted: 3 years ago Oct 5, 2021, 5:15 a.m. EDT

Many thanks, but as far as I see under 'linear elastic material', when checking or not checking 'force linear strains', the x strain is always solid.el11=solid.eXX=uX.

Many thanks, but as far as I see under 'linear elastic material', when checking or not checking 'force linear strains', the x strain is always solid.el11=solid.eXX=uX.

Posted: 3 years ago Oct 6, 2021, 2:48 a.m. EDT

Difficult to tell, it definitely changes on my screen (as long as I am pointing to a geometrically nonlinear study step).

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Difficult to tell, it definitely changes on my screen (as long as I am pointing to a geometrically nonlinear study step).

Posted: 2 years ago Nov 21, 2021, 8:17 a.m. EST

Dear Dr Sönnerlind, many thanks for your reply. Yes I can see how this can take effect. However what's the difference between ticking 'force linear strains' under the physics setting and unticking 'include geometric nonlinearity' under the study setting?

Dear Dr Sönnerlind, many thanks for your reply. Yes I can see how this can take effect. However what's the difference between ticking 'force linear strains' under the physics setting and unticking 'include geometric nonlinearity' under the study setting?

Posted: 2 years ago Nov 22, 2021, 4:23 a.m. EST

Force linear strains only has a meaning if Include geometric nonlinearity is selected. It overides that setting.

By the way: In version 6.0, soon to be released, the Force linear strains checkbox has been renamed to Geometrically linear formulation.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
*Force linear strains* only has a meaning if *Include geometric nonlinearity* is selected. It overides that setting. By the way: In version 6.0, soon to be released, the *Force linear strains* checkbox has been renamed to *Geometrically linear formulation*.

Posted: 2 years ago Nov 23, 2021, 5:20 a.m. EST

Then if one ticks both 'Include geometric nonlinearity' and 'Force linear strains', is that equivalent to unticking both?

Then if one ticks both 'Include geometric nonlinearity' and 'Force linear strains', is that equivalent to unticking both?

Posted: 2 years ago Nov 23, 2021, 6:59 a.m. EST

Please look at my first answer.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Please look at my first answer.

Posted: 2 years ago Dec 5, 2021, 5:19 a.m. EST

Thank you Henrik.

Thank you Henrik.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.