Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Magnetic force on a deforming domain

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to simulate a resonator which is subject to both applied external force and a magnetic force in 3D. The applied external force is defined, while the magnetic force needs to be computed, using Maxwell stress tensor, at each position of the resonator in space. I want to compute the device displacement using a time dependend study. At each time step I would like to compute the displacement of the resonator due to both external and magnetic force and update the magnetic force for the following step given the new position of the resonator.

I have tried to use a time-dependent study with both solid mechanics and magnetic field no currents. They both converge if only one physics is used, but they fail to converge when used together. I imagine that I should use moving mesh at each step to update the position of the resonator in space and compute the new magnetic field and maxwell stress tensor. The problem is that solid mechanics says that it cannot be used on deforming domains.

Any idea?

Thank you

2 Replies Last Post Jun 21, 2021, 11:01 a.m. EDT
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago May 6, 2021, 4:12 a.m. EDT

Federico,

I have used moving mesh, solid mechanics and magnetic fields in the past to model electromechanical actuators. This was a fully coupled approach and it should be applicable to your thing as well.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Federico, I have used moving mesh, solid mechanics and magnetic fields in the past to model electromechanical actuators. This was a fully coupled approach and it should be applicable to your thing as well. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 3 years ago Jun 21, 2021, 11:01 a.m. EDT

Dear Edgar,

thank you for your feedback. I solved the issue about my simulation. I was not using moving mesh correctly. I set a time dependent study to study the deformation of an object under mechanical force and magnetic force. The boundary load of the mechanical structure is given by the maxwell stress tensor computed in the magnetic field no current node at each time-step. A second boundary load set the mechanical force. The air around the moving object is selected as deforming domain in moving mesh. Things seem to work fine now.

Federico

Dear Edgar, thank you for your feedback. I solved the issue about my simulation. I was not using moving mesh correctly. I set a time dependent study to study the deformation of an object under mechanical force and magnetic force. The boundary load of the mechanical structure is given by the maxwell stress tensor computed in the magnetic field no current node at each time-step. A second boundary load set the mechanical force. The air around the moving object is selected as deforming domain in moving mesh. Things seem to work fine now. Federico

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.