Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

coupling of ALE and laminar flow

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi
I'm trying to model the effect of a moving object (wall) on the flow. I was able to move my walls as I wanted without the coupling, but when I added the laminar flow to the model it all went wrong. My question is how can I do this properly. I tried to give the moving walls the "moving wall" boundary conditions and I put the velocity of the wall (as I gave in the moving mesh section) and it gives me an error:

Nonlinear solver did not converge.
Time : 0
Last time step is not converged.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks a lot
Hemi

5 Replies Last Post May 8, 2012, 8:10 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 6, 2012, 9:25 a.m. EDT
Hi

have you checked the model library, I believe there is an example therein of velocity driven wall (do not forget to update your model library regularly ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi have you checked the model library, I believe there is an example therein of velocity driven wall (do not forget to update your model library regularly ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 6, 2012, 2:21 p.m. EDT
Hi Ivar
I have updated my library and still wasn't able to found such a model of velocity driven wall. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place. I'm new with this. Can you give some more details?
Thanks
Hemi
Hi Ivar I have updated my library and still wasn't able to found such a model of velocity driven wall. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place. I'm new with this. Can you give some more details? Thanks Hemi

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 7, 2012, 2:23 a.m. EDT
Hi

you have the rotating disk (OK that is 2D-axi and rotation but it's with a velocity driven wall, just in another topology. But I agree I cannot find back the simple 2D plate velocity I though about, perhaps it was presented in one of the COMSOL courses, it was back in 3.5 times, it might not have been ported to v4

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you have the rotating disk (OK that is 2D-axi and rotation but it's with a velocity driven wall, just in another topology. But I agree I cannot find back the simple 2D plate velocity I though about, perhaps it was presented in one of the COMSOL courses, it was back in 3.5 times, it might not have been ported to v4 -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 8, 2012, 2:10 a.m. EDT
Hi Ivar
This model does have moving boundaries but no moving mesh. They did not couple ALE laminar flow.
Hemi
Hi Ivar This model does have moving boundaries but no moving mesh. They did not couple ALE laminar flow. Hemi

Posted: 1 decade ago May 8, 2012, 8:10 a.m. EDT
Hi

but do you need the moving mesh ?, there are ways to avoid it for many models, by sliding boundaries with continuation pairs, see the examples in the model library

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi but do you need the moving mesh ?, there are ways to avoid it for many models, by sliding boundaries with continuation pairs, see the examples in the model library -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.