Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Fan in Comsol

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Is it possible to make a fan that spins by itself to produce an air flow? I know the other option is to just have an inlet somewhere with a fluid flow rate, and get the fan to spin because of the flow rate, but i am trying to get the fan to spin, and initiate the flow rate. My goal is to model the cooling system of a gaming system, so i want to be able to have the fan have different speeds to simulate when the system is just turned on and in standby and also when it is operating at maximum capacity for a long period of time.

1 Reply Last Post May 6, 2012, 9:03 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago May 6, 2012, 9:03 a.m. EDT
Hi

modelling a full rotating fan (in 3D) is a major task.
But to simplify COMSOL has some fan BC's that allows you to define the fan propertis, pressure loss or volumetric flow, depending on your fan curves.

in v4.2 if you need to analyse the pressure drop you must distinguis the up/down BC values of the pressure

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi modelling a full rotating fan (in 3D) is a major task. But to simplify COMSOL has some fan BC's that allows you to define the fan propertis, pressure loss or volumetric flow, depending on your fan curves. in v4.2 if you need to analyse the pressure drop you must distinguis the up/down BC values of the pressure -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.