Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Conjugate, non-isothermal u-pipe, time-dependent study

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I wanted to simulate the heat transfer of fluid in a u-pipe. However, I'm really confused about which module and model should I use?

Initially what I wanted to do is to choose the heat transfer in porous media modulue, however, I found difficulties of solving the problem of directing the fluid from vertical pipe into u-shaped corner by defining a velocity. Based on my shallow experience with Comsol so far, it seems that this modulus only allows the fixed velocity vector to be defined at the input stage, and I found it difficult to resolve for the model.

I have also tried to use the conjugate heat transfer as well as non-isothermal flow... then I started to get more confused because my analysis has to be carried in time-depenent study. Would anyone give me some advices?

Thanks for your advice in advance!

2 Replies Last Post May 14, 2012, 7:31 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago May 14, 2012, 5:56 a.m. EDT
I am alos new to Comsol but i would suggest that you start simple. Just forget about using the conjugate heat transfer application mode and try to do it stepwise using simpler physics that when coupled approximate conjugate heat transfer. For example, you could start by solving the fluid flow alone then couple this to heat transfer or reaction and see what you get.
I am alos new to Comsol but i would suggest that you start simple. Just forget about using the conjugate heat transfer application mode and try to do it stepwise using simpler physics that when coupled approximate conjugate heat transfer. For example, you could start by solving the fluid flow alone then couple this to heat transfer or reaction and see what you get.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 14, 2012, 7:31 a.m. EDT
Hi
Indeed I would say that is a wise advice, but do not foret that, depening on your model, you do not always who is "master" and who is "slave" between flow and heat. So ending up with a fully coupled and pre-cooked Conjugated Heat Flow model is good practice too

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Indeed I would say that is a wise advice, but do not foret that, depening on your model, you do not always who is "master" and who is "slave" between flow and heat. So ending up with a fully coupled and pre-cooked Conjugated Heat Flow model is good practice too -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.