Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem in modelling a fluid in forced convection in a pipe inside a solid domain

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Goodmorning,

I'm a new user and I have a problem in modelling a pipe full of water in forced convection inside a solid domain, heated by a source in some surfaces.

I am using the General heat transfer model and the weakly compressible Navier-Stokes model.

In particular my problem is about the boundary settings in the lateral surfaces of the pipe: I have used the "heat source / sink" condition with q0=0 and my "h" value between the pipe and the solid domain. The problem is that I don't know the external temperature (Tinf) because the pipe is inside a solid domain (a block) heated by two heat sources in two different surfaces; this means that Comsol should calculate the temperature on the pipe's external surface . How can I put the "pipe external surface temperature" (that vary in space and, if i will set a transient condition, through the time) as the Tinf value? In few words i want to simulate an imposed temperature on the surfaces, and a variable heat flux along the pipe's lenght.

Is there another way to model my problem?

I have also thought to insert some points near the pipe surface and to insert their temperature values as Tinf values but I don't know how to do this too.

My objective is to set an inlet temperature, an inlet and outlet pressure of the fluid and to know the temperature and velocity profile inside the pipe (and the outlet temperature).

Thank you!

1 Reply Last Post Apr 29, 2012, 3:25 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 29, 2012, 3:25 p.m. EDT
Hi

isnt it better to use "nitf" physics, where everything is set up for you ? But its a complex multiphysics model so you need often some time to learn how to use it correctly, try some of the lirary models search with NITF.

Ops, sorry that is for V4, not sure anymore what was the 3.5 name possibly "conjugated heat flow" ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi isnt it better to use "nitf" physics, where everything is set up for you ? But its a complex multiphysics model so you need often some time to learn how to use it correctly, try some of the lirary models search with NITF. Ops, sorry that is for V4, not sure anymore what was the 3.5 name possibly "conjugated heat flow" ? -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.