Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Convergence Problems with Two-Phase Mixture Model in porous media

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear colleagues,

I am an amateur in working with COMSOL. I try to simulate a two-phase flow with phase change for a simple 1D case. The problem description is the same as in [1], but for 1D. The PDE's are implemented with the PDE-mode.

The model works fine if the temperature doesn't rise above the boiling point, but then the computation fails. I think the problem is the discontinuity in the derivation of the temperature.

So far I tried:

- to smooth this function, which works in some cases, but the results are nocht realistic
- to use a segregated solver
- to use direct or/and iterative solver (where do I find a nice overview, which solver serves me best?)
- different mesh sizes
- changing BC for the energy equation (Dirichlet or Neuman)

The model in comsol is attached.

Thanks in advance
David

Version: COMSOL 4.1

[1] C.Y. Wang - A Fixed-Grid numerical algorithm for two-phase flow and heat transfer in porous media

0 Replies Last Post Apr 26, 2012, 7:03 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello David Droste

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.