Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

"Heat Transfer in Fluid" between "2 Solid Mechanics"= ALE?

Francesc-Xavier Borras

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have been all the day long reading about it and I could not figure out how to solve it. Many people have problems releated.

Thats the scheme of the problem:

---------------------------------------------
Solid Mechanics (model3)
Heat Transfer in Fluids (model 2)
Solid Mechanics (model 1)

Each one is in a different model. So I have 2 displacement fields from model 1 and 3.

I need to modify the MESH of the model 2 to adjust the thickness of the fluid film. I have been using the ALE physics because it seems perfect for my case. However I did not succeed.

Reading a lot I implement the MODEL 2 this way:

1st: Movin Mesh(ALE)
2nd: HT in Fluids
(Quadrangular Finer Mesh+Swept)

How to input both displacement fields? (In 3.5 u had the "physics induced diplacement" option (Chapter 16 Modeling Guide 3.5), how can you do it with the 4.2a?

Thanks in Advance

3 Replies Last Post Apr 27, 2012, 11:08 a.m. EDT
Francesc-Xavier Borras

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 25, 2012, 2:42 a.m. EDT
The idea is that I need a model which geometry is in function of two other models' displacements fields.
I cannot achieve a controlled Mesh deformation, even in basic models. Always appearing "Inverted Mesh Elements"...
The idea is that I need a model which geometry is in function of two other models' displacements fields. I cannot achieve a controlled Mesh deformation, even in basic models. Always appearing "Inverted Mesh Elements"...

Francesc-Xavier Borras

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 26, 2012, 2:55 a.m. EDT
Hej!

Finally I solved it. I attach the document: "3D Simple Geometry - Deformed Mesh.mph"

3 models:

- 2 x SolidMechanics: Prescribed displacement
- 1 x Heat Transfer in Fluids + Moving Mesh.

The mesh follows perfectly the wall deformation from both solid mechanics models.

I could not make it work on the complex geometry I need it, YET. Working on it.

All the best,

F. Xavier Borras
Hej! Finally I solved it. I attach the document: "3D Simple Geometry - Deformed Mesh.mph" 3 models: - 2 x SolidMechanics: Prescribed displacement - 1 x Heat Transfer in Fluids + Moving Mesh. The mesh follows perfectly the wall deformation from both solid mechanics models. I could not make it work on the complex geometry I need it, YET. Working on it. All the best, F. Xavier Borras

Francesc-Xavier Borras

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 27, 2012, 11:08 a.m. EDT
Hi,

why when I add the viscous heating it is impossible to solve?

I attach the same file with the viscous heating already input.

Thanks in advance,

F. Xavier Borras
Hi, why when I add the viscous heating it is impossible to solve? I attach the same file with the viscous heating already input. Thanks in advance, F. Xavier Borras

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.