Discussion Locked This discussion was locked by a forum moderator.

3D parametered geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I have to simulate a 3D cantilever for different thickness values.
Is it possible to create a simulation where I make a thickness sweep or a Matlab script where I can change the thickness value?
Thanks

17 Replies Last Post Jun 19, 2015, 8:24 a.m. EDT
Anders Westerberg COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 23, 2009, 9:57 a.m. EDT

Hi,
Is it possible to create a simulation where I make a thickness sweep or a Matlab script where I can change the thickness value?
Thanks

Hi Michele,

Yes, it is indeed possible to perform geometric parametric sweeps with COMSOL Multiphysics. Most conveniently, with the CAD Import Module's bidirectional interfaces to SolidWorks and Autodesk Inventor you can do this directly in COMSOL's graphical user interface. Alternatively, using the MATLAB interface you can save your COMSOL Multiphysics model (for any thickness value in the range of interest) as a model M-file, and then edit this file to use the thickness as a parameter to sweep over.

Best regards,
Anders Westerberg
COMSOL AB

[QUOTE] Hi, I have to simulate a 3D cantilever for different thickness values. Is it possible to create a simulation where I make a thickness sweep or a Matlab script where I can change the thickness value? Thanks [/QUOTE] Hi Michele, Yes, it is indeed possible to perform geometric parametric sweeps with COMSOL Multiphysics. Most conveniently, with the CAD Import Module's bidirectional interfaces to SolidWorks and Autodesk Inventor you can do this directly in COMSOL's graphical user interface. Alternatively, using the MATLAB interface you can save your COMSOL Multiphysics model (for any thickness value in the range of interest) as a model M-file, and then edit this file to use the thickness as a parameter to sweep over. Best regards, Anders Westerberg COMSOL AB

Ed Fontes COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 24, 2009, 5:11 a.m. EDT

Hi,
Thanks

Dear Michele,

In this case, I think the better approach is to use COMSOL's built-in ALE technology for parametrization of the geometry. The reason for this is that you are only changing the thickness of the beam, which I hope does not lead to topology changes in the model domain. You can do this directly in the GUI without the use of any external packages.

Below you will find a link with a PowerPoint-file and an mph-file exemplifying how this is done in COMSOL.

Best regards,

Ed

-------------------------------------------
Ed Fontes
COMSOL
ed@comsol.com

cds.comsol.com/mg/64a41e8b238394.zip
Estimated size: 8.2 MB
This link expires July 1, 2009. Please make sure to download before that date.

Included files:
- Parameterized_I_Beam_Reset.mph
- Parameterized_I_Beam_by_Moving_Mesh.ppt

[QUOTE] Hi, I have to simulate a 3D cantilever for different thickness values. Is it possible to create a simulation where I make a thickness sweep or a Matlab script where I can change the thickness value? Thanks [/QUOTE] Dear Michele, In this case, I think the better approach is to use COMSOL's built-in ALE technology for parametrization of the geometry. The reason for this is that you are only changing the thickness of the beam, which I hope does not lead to topology changes in the model domain. You can do this directly in the GUI without the use of any external packages. Below you will find a link with a PowerPoint-file and an mph-file exemplifying how this is done in COMSOL. Best regards, Ed ------------------------------------------- Ed Fontes COMSOL ed@comsol.com ------------------------------------------- http://cds.comsol.com/mg/64a41e8b238394.zip Estimated size: 8.2 MB This link expires July 1, 2009. Please make sure to download before that date. Included files: - Parameterized_I_Beam_Reset.mph - Parameterized_I_Beam_by_Moving_Mesh.ppt -------------------------------------------

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 25, 2009, 6:45 p.m. EDT
Dear Ed,

I have found your I-beam model to be very helpful, and I have a couple of questions regarding the parametric segregated solver that you outlined in your PowerPoint presentation.

I am trying to apply the moving mesh method from your model to my own. The error that is occurring when I attempt to solve my model is error number 7720: "All variables solved for must be treated in at least one segregated solver step." This message is not very clear to me, and I was wondering if you could shed some light on the subject.

As background information, the model has one subdomain. This subdomain is a cylinder (2D axially symmetric geometry). The model is using three multiphysics application modes. The application modes are Moving Mesh, Convection and Diffusion, and Electrostatics. I would like to parameterize the height of the cylinder.

I have attached my model to this message.

Thanks for your help,

Ian
Dear Ed, I have found your I-beam model to be very helpful, and I have a couple of questions regarding the parametric segregated solver that you outlined in your PowerPoint presentation. I am trying to apply the moving mesh method from your model to my own. The error that is occurring when I attempt to solve my model is error number 7720: "All variables solved for must be treated in at least one segregated solver step." This message is not very clear to me, and I was wondering if you could shed some light on the subject. As background information, the model has one subdomain. This subdomain is a cylinder (2D axially symmetric geometry). The model is using three multiphysics application modes. The application modes are Moving Mesh, Convection and Diffusion, and Electrostatics. I would like to parameterize the height of the cylinder. I have attached my model to this message. Thanks for your help, Ian

Ed Fontes COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 1, 2009, 2:21 p.m. EDT
Dear Ian,

Thank you for comments. The model was done by Bjorn Sjodin at our Boston office.
As you probably know, you are using the segregated solver to solve the problem. The segregated solver divides the solution process into several steps, where different sets of dependent variables are solved in the different steps. You need to have all dependent variables (that you have selected to solve for) represented in the different steps in the "Solver Parameters" dialog.

For example, if you have an application mode with two dependent variables, u and v, and you do the following:

1. Specify in the "Solver Manager", in the "Solve For" tab, that you want to solve for both variables (this is the default behavior)
2. You then select the segregated solver in the "Solver Parameters"

then both u and v need to represented in at least one "Segregated group".

If you only have u in the "Components" edit fields, then COMSOL will send you the error message that you are referring to. In other words, COMSOL tries to tell you (in a cryptic way I have to admit) that it cannot find the solver settings for v.

Best regards,

Ed
Dear Ian, Thank you for comments. The model was done by Bjorn Sjodin at our Boston office. As you probably know, you are using the segregated solver to solve the problem. The segregated solver divides the solution process into several steps, where different sets of dependent variables are solved in the different steps. You need to have all dependent variables (that you have selected to solve for) represented in the different steps in the "Solver Parameters" dialog. For example, if you have an application mode with two dependent variables, u and v, and you do the following: 1. Specify in the "Solver Manager", in the "Solve For" tab, that you want to solve for both variables (this is the default behavior) 2. You then select the segregated solver in the "Solver Parameters" then both u and v need to represented in at least one "Segregated group". If you only have u in the "Components" edit fields, then COMSOL will send you the error message that you are referring to. In other words, COMSOL tries to tell you (in a cryptic way I have to admit) that it cannot find the solver settings for v. Best regards, Ed

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 13, 2009, 9:45 a.m. EST
Hi,

This example file on parametrization of geometry sounds very interesting. Is it possible to upload it once more.

Thanks,
Johan

Hi,
Thanks

Dear Michele,

In this case, I think the better approach is to use COMSOL's built-in ALE technology for parametrization of the geometry. The reason for this is that you are only changing the thickness of the beam, which I hope does not lead to topology changes in the model domain. You can do this directly in the GUI without the use of any external packages.

Below you will find a link with a PowerPoint-file and an mph-file exemplifying how this is done in COMSOL.

Best regards,

Ed

Ed Fontes
COMSOL
ed@comsol.com

Included files:

Hi, This example file on parametrization of geometry sounds very interesting. Is it possible to upload it once more. Thanks, Johan [QUOTE] [QUOTE] Hi, I have to simulate a 3D cantilever for different thickness values. Is it possible to create a simulation where I make a thickness sweep or a Matlab script where I can change the thickness value? Thanks [/QUOTE] Dear Michele, In this case, I think the better approach is to use COMSOL's built-in ALE technology for parametrization of the geometry. The reason for this is that you are only changing the thickness of the beam, which I hope does not lead to topology changes in the model domain. You can do this directly in the GUI without the use of any external packages. Below you will find a link with a PowerPoint-file and an mph-file exemplifying how this is done in COMSOL. Best regards, Ed ------------------------------------------- Ed Fontes COMSOL ed@comsol.com ------------------------------------------- http://cds.comsol.com/mg/64a41e8b238394.zip Estimated size: 8.2 MB This link expires July 1, 2009. Please make sure to download before that date. Included files: - Parameterized_I_Beam_Reset.mph - Parameterized_I_Beam_by_Moving_Mesh.ppt ------------------------------------------- [/QUOTE]

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 13, 2009, 9:45 a.m. EST
Hi,

This example file on parametrization of geometry sounds very interesting. Is it possible to upload it once more.

Thanks,
Johan

Hi,
Thanks

Dear Michele,

Best regards,

Ed

Ed Fontes
COMSOL
ed@comsol.com

Included files:

Hi, This example file on parametrization of geometry sounds very interesting. Is it possible to upload it once more. Thanks, Johan [QUOTE] [QUOTE] Hi, I have to simulate a 3D cantilever for different thickness values. Is it possible to create a simulation where I make a thickness sweep or a Matlab script where I can change the thickness value? Thanks [/QUOTE] Dear Michele, In this case, I think the better approach is to use COMSOL's built-in ALE technology for parametrization of the geometry. The reason for this is that you are only changing the thickness of the beam, which I hope does not lead to topology changes in the model domain. You can do this directly in the GUI without the use of any external packages. Below you will find a link with a PowerPoint-file and an mph-file exemplifying how this is done in COMSOL. Best regards, Ed ------------------------------------------- Ed Fontes COMSOL ed@comsol.com ------------------------------------------- http://cds.comsol.com/mg/64a41e8b238394.zip Estimated size: 8.2 MB This link expires July 1, 2009. Please make sure to download before that date. Included files: - Parameterized_I_Beam_Reset.mph - Parameterized_I_Beam_by_Moving_Mesh.ppt ------------------------------------------- [/QUOTE]

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 13, 2009, 10:02 a.m. EST
Dear Johan,
here is the file

Regards
Michele
Dear Johan, here is the file Regards Michele

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 13, 2009, 10:10 a.m. EST
Hi Johan,

I uploaded the files again. You can retrieve them by clicking on the link below.

Best regards,
Anders Westerberg
COMSOL AB

cds.comsol.com/mg/e4afd75dddaad7.zip
This link expires November 20, 2009. Please make sure to download before that date.

Included files:
Hi Johan, I uploaded the files again. You can retrieve them by clicking on the link below. Best regards, Anders Westerberg COMSOL AB ------------------------------------------- http://cds.comsol.com/mg/e4afd75dddaad7.zip Estimated size: 8.2 MB This link expires November 20, 2009. Please make sure to download before that date. Included files: - Parameterized_I_Beam_Reset.mph - Parameterized_I_Beam_by_Moving_Mesh.ppt -------------------------------------------

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 19, 2010, 2:25 p.m. EST
Is it possible to upload the files again?

Thanks in advance,
Alexandra

Hi Johan,

I uploaded the files again. You can retrieve them by clicking on the link below.

Best regards,
Anders Westerberg
COMSOL AB

This link expires November 20, 2009. Please make sure to download before that date.

Included files:

Is it possible to upload the files again? Thanks in advance, Alexandra [QUOTE] Hi Johan, I uploaded the files again. You can retrieve them by clicking on the link below. Best regards, Anders Westerberg COMSOL AB ------------------------------------------- http://cds.comsol.com/mg/e4afd75dddaad7.zip Estimated size: 8.2 MB This link expires November 20, 2009. Please make sure to download before that date. Included files: - Parameterized_I_Beam_Reset.mph - Parameterized_I_Beam_by_Moving_Mesh.ppt ------------------------------------------- [/QUOTE]

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 19, 2010, 5:54 p.m. EST
Hi Alexandra,

Sure. You find the link below.

Best regards,
Anders W

cds.comsol.com/mg/34b7f163387624.zip
This link expires February 26, 2010. Please make sure to download before that date.

Included files:

Thanks in advance,
Alexandra

Hi Johan,

Best regards,
Anders Westerberg
COMSOL AB

Included files:

Hi Alexandra, Sure. You find the link below. Best regards, Anders W ------------------------------------------- http://cds.comsol.com/mg/34b7f163387624.zip Estimated size: 8.2 MB This link expires February 26, 2010. Please make sure to download before that date. Included files: - Parameterized_I_Beam_Reset.mph - Parameterized_I_Beam_by_Moving_Mesh.ppt ------------------------------------------- [QUOTE] Is it possible to upload the files again? Thanks in advance, Alexandra [QUOTE] Hi Johan, I uploaded the files again. You can retrieve them by clicking on the link below. Best regards, Anders Westerberg COMSOL AB ------------------------------------------- http://cds.comsol.com/mg/e4afd75dddaad7.zip Estimated size: 8.2 MB This link expires November 20, 2009. Please make sure to download before that date. Included files: - Parameterized_I_Beam_Reset.mph - Parameterized_I_Beam_by_Moving_Mesh.ppt ------------------------------------------- [/QUOTE] [/QUOTE]

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 2, 2010, 7:41 a.m. EST
Hi Anders,

unfortunately I missed by a couple of days the latest upload of your parametrization presentation which I find really intersting. Could you please upload it once again?

Thanks in advance,
Best regards,
Sarah.

Hi Alexandra,

Best regards,
Anders W

This link expires February 26, 2010. Please make sure to download before that date.

Included files:

Thanks in advance,
Alexandra

Hi Johan,

Best regards,
Anders Westerberg
COMSOL AB

Included files:

Hi Anders, unfortunately I missed by a couple of days the latest upload of your parametrization presentation which I find really intersting. Could you please upload it once again? Thanks in advance, Best regards, Sarah. [QUOTE] Hi Alexandra, Sure. You find the link below. Best regards, Anders W ------------------------------------------- http://cds.comsol.com/mg/34b7f163387624.zip Estimated size: 8.2 MB This link expires February 26, 2010. Please make sure to download before that date. Included files: - Parameterized_I_Beam_Reset.mph - Parameterized_I_Beam_by_Moving_Mesh.ppt ------------------------------------------- [QUOTE] Is it possible to upload the files again? Thanks in advance, Alexandra [QUOTE] Hi Johan, I uploaded the files again. You can retrieve them by clicking on the link below. Best regards, Anders Westerberg COMSOL AB ------------------------------------------- http://cds.comsol.com/mg/e4afd75dddaad7.zip Estimated size: 8.2 MB This link expires November 20, 2009. Please make sure to download before that date. Included files: - Parameterized_I_Beam_Reset.mph - Parameterized_I_Beam_by_Moving_Mesh.ppt ------------------------------------------- [/QUOTE] [/QUOTE] [/QUOTE]

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 2, 2010, 7:52 a.m. EST
Hi Sarah,

No problem at all. Here is a fresh URL.

Best regards,
Anders

cds.comsol.com/mg/34b8d090bda2fc.zip
This link expires March 9, 2010. Please make sure to download before that date.

Included files:

Hi Anders,

unfortunately I missed by a couple of days the latest upload of your parametrization presentation which I find really intersting. Could you please upload it once again?

Thanks in advance,
Best regards,
Sarah.

Hi Alexandra,

Best regards,
Anders W

Included files:

Thanks in advance,
Alexandra

Hi Johan,

Best regards,
Anders Westerberg
COMSOL AB

Included files:

Hi Sarah, No problem at all. Here is a fresh URL. Best regards, Anders ------------------------------------------- http://cds.comsol.com/mg/34b8d090bda2fc.zip Estimated size: 8.2 MB This link expires March 9, 2010. Please make sure to download before that date. Included files: - Parameterized_I_Beam_by_Moving_Mesh.ppt - Parameterized_I_Beam_Reset.mph ------------------------------------------- [QUOTE] Hi Anders, unfortunately I missed by a couple of days the latest upload of your parametrization presentation which I find really intersting. Could you please upload it once again? Thanks in advance, Best regards, Sarah. [QUOTE] Hi Alexandra, Sure. You find the link below. Best regards, Anders W ------------------------------------------- http://cds.comsol.com/mg/34b7f163387624.zip Estimated size: 8.2 MB This link expires February 26, 2010. Please make sure to download before that date. Included files: - Parameterized_I_Beam_Reset.mph - Parameterized_I_Beam_by_Moving_Mesh.ppt ------------------------------------------- [QUOTE] Is it possible to upload the files again? Thanks in advance, Alexandra [QUOTE] Hi Johan, I uploaded the files again. You can retrieve them by clicking on the link below. Best regards, Anders Westerberg COMSOL AB ------------------------------------------- http://cds.comsol.com/mg/e4afd75dddaad7.zip Estimated size: 8.2 MB This link expires November 20, 2009. Please make sure to download before that date. Included files: - Parameterized_I_Beam_Reset.mph - Parameterized_I_Beam_by_Moving_Mesh.ppt ------------------------------------------- [/QUOTE] [/QUOTE] [/QUOTE] [/QUOTE]

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 2, 2010, 7:52 a.m. EST
Hi Sarah,

No problem at all. Here is a fresh URL.

Best regards,
Anders

cds.comsol.com/mg/34b8d090bda2fc.zip
This link expires March 9, 2010. Please make sure to download before that date.

Included files:

Hi Anders,

Thanks in advance,
Best regards,
Sarah.

Hi Alexandra,

Best regards,
Anders W

Included files:

Thanks in advance,
Alexandra

Hi Johan,

Best regards,
Anders Westerberg
COMSOL AB

Included files:

Hi Sarah, No problem at all. Here is a fresh URL. Best regards, Anders ------------------------------------------- http://cds.comsol.com/mg/34b8d090bda2fc.zip Estimated size: 8.2 MB This link expires March 9, 2010. Please make sure to download before that date. Included files: - Parameterized_I_Beam_by_Moving_Mesh.ppt - Parameterized_I_Beam_Reset.mph ------------------------------------------- [QUOTE] Hi Anders, unfortunately I missed by a couple of days the latest upload of your parametrization presentation which I find really intersting. Could you please upload it once again? Thanks in advance, Best regards, Sarah. [QUOTE] Hi Alexandra, Sure. You find the link below. Best regards, Anders W ------------------------------------------- http://cds.comsol.com/mg/34b7f163387624.zip Estimated size: 8.2 MB This link expires February 26, 2010. Please make sure to download before that date. Included files: - Parameterized_I_Beam_Reset.mph - Parameterized_I_Beam_by_Moving_Mesh.ppt ------------------------------------------- [QUOTE] Is it possible to upload the files again? Thanks in advance, Alexandra [QUOTE] Hi Johan, I uploaded the files again. You can retrieve them by clicking on the link below. Best regards, Anders Westerberg COMSOL AB ------------------------------------------- http://cds.comsol.com/mg/e4afd75dddaad7.zip Estimated size: 8.2 MB This link expires November 20, 2009. Please make sure to download before that date. Included files: - Parameterized_I_Beam_Reset.mph - Parameterized_I_Beam_by_Moving_Mesh.ppt ------------------------------------------- [/QUOTE] [/QUOTE] [/QUOTE] [/QUOTE]

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 1, 2010, 4:59 a.m. EDT
Hi Anders,

I'm Micaela. I also have problems in the study of geometric parameterization. would help me see your parametrization presentation which I find really intersting. Could you please upload it once again?

Thanks in advance,
Best regards,
Sarah.
Hi Anders, I'm Micaela. I also have problems in the study of geometric parameterization. would help me see your parametrization presentation which I find really intersting. Could you please upload it once again? Thanks in advance, Best regards, Sarah.

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 1, 2010, 5:29 a.m. EDT
It is publicly available here:
www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/4743/

Niklas Rom
COMSOL AB
It is publicly available here: http://www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/4743/ Niklas Rom COMSOL AB

Posted: 9 years ago Jun 19, 2015, 7:33 a.m. EDT
Dear Sir,

Can you please send me the link. My work is also related to the moving mesh ale method for a 3D geometry. I am facing problem in increasing the thickness using ale method.

Thanks

Best Regards
Sandeep
Dear Sir, Can you please send me the link. My work is also related to the moving mesh ale method for a 3D geometry. I am facing problem in increasing the thickness using ale method. Thanks Best Regards Sandeep

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago Jun 19, 2015, 8:24 a.m. EDT
The method demonstrated in that model is antiquated. Geometric parametrization has now for years been possible without the use of the ALE method, which is why that model is no longer available on our website.

The Introduction to COMSOL Multiphysics manual, version 5.1, illustrates how to parametrize a COMSOL geometry.
Best regards,
Jeff
The method demonstrated in that model is antiquated. Geometric parametrization has now for years been possible without the use of the ALE method, which is why that model is no longer available on our website. The Introduction to COMSOL Multiphysics manual, version 5.1, illustrates how to parametrize a COMSOL geometry. Best regards, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.