Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Changing variables between time steps

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I have a studied how the standard time dependent solver works by checking the check box "show results while solving" then I can see the all time steps update one after another. I have noticed that the solver sometimes go back and recalculates a time step.

Now my question is; can I add my own conditions that will be checked after each time step and if they are fulfilled, change a variable, recalculate that time step and then continue as normal?

I run Comsol 4.2 and have Livelink to Matlab etc. if that helps!?

Thanks,
Stefan

5 Replies Last Post Jul 30, 2012, 2:18 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Stefan Sjökvist

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 11, 2012, 7:07 p.m. EDT
have you found any solution to this yet?! I encounter the same problem. I like to have access to solution at each time-step, change some parameters at that step and go to the next. If you could come up with some hints please let me know. Thanks.
have you found any solution to this yet?! I encounter the same problem. I like to have access to solution at each time-step, change some parameters at that step and go to the next. If you could come up with some hints please let me know. Thanks.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 12, 2012, 2:25 a.m. EDT
Unfortunately not. At the moment I don’t have so much time to look into it, but when/if I find a solution I will post it here!
I Think I will try contacting the support about this question.
Unfortunately not. At the moment I don’t have so much time to look into it, but when/if I find a solution I will post it here! I Think I will try contacting the support about this question.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 12, 2012, 10:29 a.m. EDT
Thanks.
Thanks.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 11, 2012, 10:00 a.m. EDT
Hi,

any update about this problem? I am also interested in changing the value of one variable before doing the next step in a time step simulation.
Hi, any update about this problem? I am also interested in changing the value of one variable before doing the next step in a time step simulation.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 30, 2012, 2:18 a.m. EDT
No progress yet, unfortunately. I have been on vacation and in August I will not have so much time to look into this, but hopefully in September.
No progress yet, unfortunately. I have been on vacation and in August I will not have so much time to look into this, but hopefully in September.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.