Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

r-axis points right, Z-axis points up... I want r-axis up and Z-axis left. How do I do this???

J Smedley Power Cable Insulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

This is probably a ridiculous question to many, but I have searched the forum, Googled, Binged, Duckduckgo'd, and I'm not using te correct search terms apparently. So now, I humbly ask assistance. I apologize if this issue has already been covered ad nauseam.

In my axisymmetric 2D model, the r-axis points to the right, and the Z-axis points up. I want just want to see my model geometry rendered with the r-axis up and Z-axis pointing left. How do I do this without converting the whole coordinate system? One thing I tried converted the z-axis to an r-axis and vice versa. I'm sure the computer doesn't care mathematically, but it's a ridiculous representation for a human user.

Warmest regards, Jeff

-------------------
Whatever you do, be kind.

2 Replies Last Post Jan 5, 2021, 9:52 a.m. EST
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago Jan 5, 2021, 9:31 a.m. EST
Updated: 3 years ago Jan 5, 2021, 10:05 a.m. EST

Hello Jeff,

In COMSOL, in a 2D axisymmetric model, the r=0 axis is always rendered vertical. There is no easy way to have it be shown horizontal, I am afraid. I personally agree that in some cases (depending on what's being modeled) it may feel more natural to have it the other way. I have made the request for that capability, but apparently it is not as trivial to implement as it would seem. As you point out, from a mathematical point of view, how things are rendered on screen has no impact on the solution.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Jeff, In COMSOL, in a 2D axisymmetric model, the r=0 axis is always rendered vertical. There is no easy way to have it be shown horizontal, I am afraid. I personally agree that in some cases (depending on what's being modeled) it may feel more natural to have it the other way. I have made the request for that capability, but apparently it is not as trivial to implement as it would seem. As you point out, from a mathematical point of view, how things are rendered on screen has no impact on the solution. Best, Jeff

J Smedley Power Cable Insulation

Posted: 3 years ago Jan 5, 2021, 9:52 a.m. EST

Hello Jeff,

I'm glad to hear that I didn't overlook something and did my due diligence. It just wasn't there to be found. Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards, Jeff

-------------------
Whatever you do, be kind.
Hello Jeff, I'm glad to hear that I didn't overlook something and did my due diligence. It just wasn't there to be found. Thank you very much for your help! Best regards, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.