Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

.dxf import

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All

I created a .dxf file in maple 13 and I'm trying to import it to COMSOL 3.5a
COMSOL gives an exception: out of memory geometry processing

What it can be? Help me please if anyone can.

Regards
Alex

9 Replies Last Post Jan 27, 2010, 1:49 p.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 19, 2010, 7:16 a.m. EST
Hi again

I've tried to create the simplest geometry(sphere.. .dxf file is attached) in maple13 and export it as .dxf

Comsol read this geometry with 1 warning: Non-zero Z coordinates ignored.

The problem is that I've got 2d geometry of sphere in comsol's 3d space..

Did anybody import .dxf 3d images?
Hi again I've tried to create the simplest geometry(sphere.. .dxf file is attached) in maple13 and export it as .dxf Comsol read this geometry with 1 warning: Non-zero Z coordinates ignored. The problem is that I've got 2d geometry of sphere in comsol's 3d space.. Did anybody import .dxf 3d images?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 19, 2010, 2:09 p.m. EST
Hi

si the parallel discussion with

"importing *.sat file"

3D dxf is not supported (from my knowledge) as this format does not store how to connect the lines and comsol gets lost in 3D (most software will do anyhow).

Cannot you try another 3D interface, and if its simple geoemtry, you could programme MAPLE to generate the simpel 3D comsol geoemtrical commands and then import this as an .m fle via matlab, no?

good luck
Ivar
Hi si the parallel discussion with "importing *.sat file" 3D dxf is not supported (from my knowledge) as this format does not store how to connect the lines and comsol gets lost in 3D (most software will do anyhow). Cannot you try another 3D interface, and if its simple geoemtry, you could programme MAPLE to generate the simpel 3D comsol geoemtrical commands and then import this as an .m fle via matlab, no? good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 20, 2010, 5:37 a.m. EST
Hi Ivar, thanks for reply

actually I have the implicit equation of 3d surface ( ''cos(x)*sin(y)+cos(y)*sin(z)+cos(z)*sin(x)=0'' )
but in any case I've tried to create 2d circle in matlab and then open this .m-file as model in COMSOL...
COMSOL gives " 'circle.m' is not a valid COMSOL Multiphysics Model M-file " error.

How can I use geometry that were created in matlab?

thanks,
Alex
Hi Ivar, thanks for reply actually I have the implicit equation of 3d surface ( ''cos(x)*sin(y)+cos(y)*sin(z)+cos(z)*sin(x)=0'' ) but in any case I've tried to create 2d circle in matlab and then open this .m-file as model in COMSOL... COMSOL gives " 'circle.m' is not a valid COMSOL Multiphysics Model M-file " error. How can I use geometry that were created in matlab? thanks, Alex

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 20, 2010, 10:21 a.m. EST
Also I've tried to import as FEM but I couln't create a FEM structure in matlab..
I can create m-file only...
how I can do that?
Also I've tried to import as FEM but I couln't create a FEM structure in matlab.. I can create m-file only... how I can do that?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 20, 2010, 11:14 p.m. EST
Hi

such a surface must be discretised or simple "meshed" to be read into comosl, I would use the ALE and use it as a target for a surface defomation within COMSOL, then save the meshed geometry.

Ivar
Hi such a surface must be discretised or simple "meshed" to be read into comosl, I would use the ALE and use it as a target for a surface defomation within COMSOL, then save the meshed geometry. Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 21, 2010, 4:08 a.m. EST
Hi

Sorry, but what is ALE??
Can I do it by something else?

Thanks,
Alex
Hi Sorry, but what is ALE?? Can I do it by something else? Thanks, Alex

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 24, 2010, 5:44 p.m. EST
I have also had difficulty with .dxf import in the CAD importing module of 3.5a The app I have been modeling with supports .stl files and it works pretty good so far other than a few triangulation on import errors or those pesky singularities situations. Good luck on your problem solving. Scott
I have also had difficulty with .dxf import in the CAD importing module of 3.5a The app I have been modeling with supports .stl files and it works pretty good so far other than a few triangulation on import errors or those pesky singularities situations. Good luck on your problem solving. Scott

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 27, 2010, 11:02 a.m. EST
Hi Ivar,
problem partically solved.

for .dxf import I used solidworks(open .dxf as 3d object) and saved as .x_t

another problem is how to fill my shape with the matter.. COMSOL didn't do that automatically.. and i have just closed surfaces..

my geometry is surface of a cube plus some surface inside it. therefore I have 3 closed surfaces: cube and 2 closed surfaces incide it..

I've tried to import .x_t with "try to make solids" but I succeeded only in getting solid cube with surface within.

Can you give an advice what can I do with this?

Thanks,
Alex
Hi Ivar, problem partically solved. for .dxf import I used solidworks(open .dxf as 3d object) and saved as .x_t another problem is how to fill my shape with the matter.. COMSOL didn't do that automatically.. and i have just closed surfaces.. my geometry is surface of a cube plus some surface inside it. therefore I have 3 closed surfaces: cube and 2 closed surfaces incide it.. I've tried to import .x_t with "try to make solids" but I succeeded only in getting solid cube with surface within. Can you give an advice what can I do with this? Thanks, Alex

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 27, 2010, 1:49 p.m. EST
Hi

try to do it in SolidWorks then, the CAD geometry possibilities are larger therein, you can cut your cube volume by the surfaces (if they extend far enough) and then you can export the resulting volume.

If you manage to get the surfaces and cube into COMSOL there are also possibilities, but very complex shapes as your have are probably heavy to handle.

It's worth a try, by decomposing the volume into surfaces and then attemppting to recombine surfaces into a volume, but you must select a closed surface for this to work

Good luck
Ivar
Hi try to do it in SolidWorks then, the CAD geometry possibilities are larger therein, you can cut your cube volume by the surfaces (if they extend far enough) and then you can export the resulting volume. If you manage to get the surfaces and cube into COMSOL there are also possibilities, but very complex shapes as your have are probably heavy to handle. It's worth a try, by decomposing the volume into surfaces and then attemppting to recombine surfaces into a volume, but you must select a closed surface for this to work Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.