Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

"Internal error in boundary respecting." and "Out of memory during assembly."

Kittatat Suphakulwattana

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All

I have two errors in my microfluidic models about "Internal error in boundary respecting." and "Out of memory during assembly.". At first I tried to simulate the flow of the overall 3D structure but it showed an error about

-Feature: Compile Equations: Time Dependent(sol1/st1)
-Error: Problem setting up multigrid.

With these details.

Problem setting up multigrid.
Failed to build feature 'bl1' in sequence 'mesh1'.
Failed to generate mesh for domain.
- Domain: 2
Failed to respect boundary element edge on geometry face.
- Face: 33
- x-coordinate: 4839
- y-coordinate: -4018.97
- z-coordinate: 10
Internal error in boundary respecting.

To check whether my program work properly or not, I tested it by the simulation with the simpler 3D straight microchannel and the error is shown below.

Out of memory during assembly.

My laptop specs are window7, intel core 2 duo, 2.00 GHz, 32-bit OS, 4 GB (3.00 GB usable). I'm not sure that these are tha cause of my problems or not, and what I should do to solve these problems.

Thanks a lot and best regards,
Kittatat

11 Replies Last Post Nov 11, 2014, 6:03 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 16, 2012, 8:10 a.m. EST
Hi

it could well be a RAM issue, as fluidics often require dozen of Gb of RAM and on a 32 bit machine you are limited to 2Gb per process. But it could also be from a geoemtry + mesh difficulty, alldepends on the geoemtry shape

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi it could well be a RAM issue, as fluidics often require dozen of Gb of RAM and on a 32 bit machine you are limited to 2Gb per process. But it could also be from a geoemtry + mesh difficulty, alldepends on the geoemtry shape -- Good luck Ivar

Kittatat Suphakulwattana

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 16, 2012, 12:53 p.m. EST
Dear Mr.Ivar

Thank you so much, I will try my best.

Kittatat
Dear Mr.Ivar Thank you so much, I will try my best. Thanks a lot and best regards, Kittatat

Kittatat Suphakulwattana

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 21, 2012, 11:28 a.m. EST
Dear Mr.Ivar

I have just tried to simulate my model in 2D instead of 3D, but now it showed this kind of error.

"Invalid boundary layer specification." with Geometric entity level at only one point.

I cannot attach the files to show you my work, I am not sure that all errors came from my the geoemtry shape or not.

Kittatat
Dear Mr.Ivar I have just tried to simulate my model in 2D instead of 3D, but now it showed this kind of error. "Invalid boundary layer specification." with Geometric entity level at only one point. I cannot attach the files to show you my work, I am not sure that all errors came from my the geoemtry shape or not. Thanks a lot and best regards, Kittatat

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 21, 2012, 3:10 p.m. EST
Hi

that is probably coming from your geometrical shape. COMSOL applies by default boundary layer to all no-slip walls, but sometimes these have trouble joining over open corners. One way is to try a manual meshing, and perhaps apply boundary layers (a two step operation, selecting the domain of the fluid (boundary layer side) + the boundaries in the subnode where to apply the boundary layers) in several steps. Sometimes one must leave out a small portion, where one can mesh finer locally to get around the numerical issues.

By the way the meshing algorithms have been improved in the newer versions

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi that is probably coming from your geometrical shape. COMSOL applies by default boundary layer to all no-slip walls, but sometimes these have trouble joining over open corners. One way is to try a manual meshing, and perhaps apply boundary layers (a two step operation, selecting the domain of the fluid (boundary layer side) + the boundaries in the subnode where to apply the boundary layers) in several steps. Sometimes one must leave out a small portion, where one can mesh finer locally to get around the numerical issues. By the way the meshing algorithms have been improved in the newer versions -- Good luck Ivar

Kittatat Suphakulwattana

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 17, 2012, 10:03 a.m. EDT
Dear Mr.Ivar

I can simulate 2D model right now but my 3D simulation has this kind of error as shown below.

Failed to create boundary layer mesh.
-Detail: Could not shift boundary node at all

It occured when I choose Element size from "Fine", when I chose "finer" it showed

Boundary mesh must consist of triangular only.
-Domain: 1
Try converting to triangular on these faces.
-23, 39 (both are top circular faces from two cylinders)

Then I change from "physics-controlled mesh" to "User-controlled mesh" and used "Swept" mesh from one circular face to another face of both cilinders with prism face meshing, but it said that "Source and destination faces must be specified." and cause an error in that damain. Did I do something wrong?

Sincerely yours
Kittatat Suphakulwattana
Dear Mr.Ivar I can simulate 2D model right now but my 3D simulation has this kind of error as shown below. Failed to create boundary layer mesh. -Detail: Could not shift boundary node at all It occured when I choose Element size from "Fine", when I chose "finer" it showed Boundary mesh must consist of triangular only. -Domain: 1 Try converting to triangular on these faces. -23, 39 (both are top circular faces from two cylinders) Then I change from "physics-controlled mesh" to "User-controlled mesh" and used "Swept" mesh from one circular face to another face of both cilinders with prism face meshing, but it said that "Source and destination faces must be specified." and cause an error in that damain. Did I do something wrong? Sincerely yours Kittatat Suphakulwattana

Kittatat Suphakulwattana

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 25, 2012, 4:04 a.m. EDT
Dear Mr.Ivar

If I want to simulate the flow of gold nanoparticles in my channel, which Physics mode and gold nanoparticles properties should be used.

Normally you reply every quastion very fast, but this take too long for you. Are you OK?, I am a little bit worry about you.

Sincerely yours
Kitatat Suphakulwattana
Dear Mr.Ivar If I want to simulate the flow of gold nanoparticles in my channel, which Physics mode and gold nanoparticles properties should be used. Normally you reply every quastion very fast, but this take too long for you. Are you OK?, I am a little bit worry about you. Sincerely yours Kitatat Suphakulwattana

Kittatat Suphakulwattana

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 3, 2012, 4:26 a.m. EDT
Dear Mr.Ivar

I really worry about you right now, are you still fine? If you still ok please help me.

Sincerely yours
Kittatat S.
Dear Mr.Ivar I really worry about you right now, are you still fine? If you still ok please help me. Sincerely yours Kittatat S.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 6, 2013, 4:23 a.m. EDT
Hi there
here is the solution for you:

Prelude:
I to have encountered that same error so many times when i modeled 3D geometries yet almost never when modeling 2D geometries. Why?
COMSOL is trying to patch over the sharp corner diagonally in order to better/more smoothly mesh over the geometry in a way that will enable better representation of flow gradients over a corner.
all that is excellent and another reason why i have so much appreciation for COMSOL developers as they are actual Mathematics/Engineering/Physics professionals.
however, the problem is that doing this sort of "patching" is quite simple in 2D but very difficult in 3D, unless the geometry is very specific and of the kind that will not bring the meshing algorithm into collapse upon itself (due to impossible clustering of such elements).

(remainder: the higher the physics-gradient present at geometrical location, the denser the mesh you will need to "capture" and depict that phenomena using FEM, for reasons related to Element order).

Solution:
all you need to do is:
Ver 4.2a ==> uncheck the split boundary layer check box (see pictures attached)
Ver 4.3B==> choose the trimming option from the drop menu /Engineering

works for me every time :)
Hi there here is the solution for you: Prelude: I to have encountered that same error so many times when i modeled 3D geometries yet almost never when modeling 2D geometries. Why? COMSOL is trying to patch over the sharp corner diagonally in order to better/more smoothly mesh over the geometry in a way that will enable better representation of flow gradients over a corner. all that is excellent and another reason why i have so much appreciation for COMSOL developers as they are actual Mathematics/Engineering/Physics professionals. however, the problem is that doing this sort of "patching" is quite simple in 2D but very difficult in 3D, unless the geometry is very specific and of the kind that will not bring the meshing algorithm into collapse upon itself (due to impossible clustering of such elements). (remainder: the higher the physics-gradient present at geometrical location, the denser the mesh you will need to "capture" and depict that phenomena using FEM, for reasons related to Element order). Solution: all you need to do is: Ver 4.2a ==> uncheck the split boundary layer check box (see pictures attached) Ver 4.3B==> choose the trimming option from the drop menu /Engineering works for me every time :)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 17, 2013, 11:36 p.m. EDT
Excellent meshing tip.
Excellent meshing tip.

Posted: 10 years ago Oct 14, 2014, 4:26 p.m. EDT
Excellent meshing tip.
Excellent meshing tip.

Posted: 10 years ago Nov 11, 2014, 6:03 a.m. EST
Excelent meshing tip
Excelent meshing tip

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.