Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

heterogeneous reaction - concentration of product decreasing

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

greetings,

i am currently working on a model of the hydrogen evolution reaction using the interfaces transport of diluted species, chemistry, and surface reactions. The reaction mechanism i am modeling goes something like this

H+ + e- + * => H*

2H* => H2 + 2*

where * denotes a surface site

i would like to model the reaction with the initial condition that there is 1 monolayer of hydrogen adsorbed on the catalyst surface, so I have applied that condition in Surface Reactions.

i am starting with 0 concentration of H2, and the rate of the second reaction is given by k[H*]^2, where k is a positive rate constant. i have applied a "surface reactions" condition in transport of diluted species to the boundary that I envision the catalyst is at.

however, I have noticed that despite this reaction being the only "source/sink" of H2, the concentration of H2 initially increases near the boundary, then decreases. weirdly, when I change the initial condition so that initial hydrogen coverage is 0, H2 is increasing continually as expected.

simplified version of the model attached below, any thoughts appreciated.

0 Replies Last Post May 30, 2020, 1:03 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Kelsey Levine

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.